Romancing the Major

SPOILERS: none

RATING: PG (some adult themes)

SUMMARY: Jack tries his hand at romance.

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author

AUTHORS NOTES: This is in answer to the 1999 Hepburn Challenge. Must contain the following lines:-"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." and "Don't even bother to explain, it'll only make it worse." Those two lines must have something to do with Sam and Jack and the rest of the story must contain one or more of the following: Chocolate (any shape or form ),Satin sheets, yellow roses, a teddy bear, a toothbrush. And is Jack a boxers or briefs man?

FEEDBACK: Yes please!

~~o0o~~

It was early in the morning and Jack was in the bathroom, getting ready for work. He smiled as he heard Sam in the bedroom, singing to a song on the radio. �Any man of mine better be proud of me. Even when I�m ugly he still better love me. I can be late for a date, that�s fine, but he better be on time...�

Jack laughed at the song. Sam loved Shania Twain and she particularly liked this song. She had sung it to him once, �just to set the ground rules� she had said.

�Any man of mine, better walk the line...� Sam sang as she walked into the bathroom. �Hey! That�s my toothbrush!� She said indignantly when she saw Jack.

�Yep� he replied after spitting and rinsing. �There you go.� He handed it to her with a boyish grin.

�I don�t want it after you�ve used it!� She tried to keep a straight face.

Jack chuckled and put his arm around her waist, bringing her closer. �I hate to be the one to tell you, but if I�ve got germs than so do you.�

�Really? And why is that?� She asked innocently.

�Because we do this...� he began before capturing her lips in a passionate kiss, his tongue slipping past her lips. �...far too often� he finished as he released her.

�Oh. Well in that case...� She gave him a heart stopping smile before grabbing the toothbrush and putting some toothpaste on it. Jack chuckled and went into the bedroom to get dressed.

He was just putting on his T-shirt when the phone rang. Without thinking, he picked it up and didn�t realise until after he�d said hello, that he was at Sam�s place.

�Colonel O�Neill?� Came General Hammond�s gruff voice. �What in the hell are you doing at Major Carter�s house at this time of the morning?�

�Ah... General...you see...� Jack stammered, mentally kicking himself.

"Don't even bother to explain, it'll only make it worse. Least you�ve saved me a phone call. There was some damage done to the Gate last night so SG1 is on stand down for twenty four hours while it is repaired. Therefore you and Major Carter are expected for duty at zero eight hundred tomorrow. Understood?"

�Yes sir.�

�And Colonel?�

�Yes sir?� Jack braced himself for the General�s wrath.

�Try not to answer the Major�s phone in future.� Jack was sure he could hear a hint of amusement in the General�s voice.

�Yes sir� Jack replied, releasing the breath he�d been holding.

He hung up the phone and turned to face Sam, who was standing at the door, eyes wide. �That was the General?� She asked with a shaky voice.

�Yeah. Seems we�ve got another twenty four hours together. Something about damage to the Gate.� He walked over and put his arms around her waist.

�But Jack, you just answered my phone...�

�Forget about it Sam. Now what would you like to do today?� He started nuzzling her neck, making it obvious what he wanted to do.

�Doesn�t it bother you that our CO probably knows that we are doing something *very* much against regulations?�

Jack shrugged, a smile tugging at his lips. �If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." He resumed his attack on Sam�s neck.

�Jack...� Sam persisted.

Jack stepped back slightly and took her face in his gentle hands. �Don�t worry about it Sam. The General actually sounded kinda amused. All he said was not to answer your phone in future.� He gave her a soft kiss on the lips. �Trust me.�

Sam sighed and let herself get caught up in Jack�s passion. All he had to say were those two words and she knew that everything would be fine. She allowed him to lead her over to the bed, pausing only to remove each other�s clothes.

Jack and Sam laid entwined, naked under a sheet in bed. Sam was sleeping, her head on Jack�s shoulder and her hand over his heart. Jack was staring up at the ceiling, his fingers running aimlessly up and down Sam�s back. He was thinking about their relationship. The two had been together for a few months and he was more in love then he had ever thought possible, and that was saying a lot considering he�d been married to Sara. The problem was that Jack felt he wasn�t very romantic with Sam. When they were together they usually ate at home, watched movies and then made love. He had never taken her out to a fancy restaurant or bought her a romantic gift. The only time he�d given her flowers was when he picked her a bunch on another planet. Sam had never said anything but he couldn�t help but think that maybe she wasn�t satisfied with their relationship. It wasn�t like it was purely physical but still, was it enough for her? �Well Jack ol� boy� he thought to himself. �You�ve got �till tomorrow morning to show the woman you love that you can be romantic.�

He gently eased Sam off him, careful not to wake her, and got out of bed. He dressed quickly, before writing Sam a note and placing it on the pillow next to her. He stood and watched her sleep for a few minutes, something he was sure he�d never tire of doing. She sighed and rolled onto her back, mumbling in her sleep. A soft smile passed Jack�s lips and he bent down and brushed a kiss across her forehead before leaving the apartment.

An hour later Sam stirred, automatically reaching for Jack. Her eyes opened when she found the other side of the bed was empty. �Jack?� She called. The apartment remained silent so Sam sat up, brushing a hand through her hair. She caught sight of the note on the pillow next to her.

 Sam,
 I had to run a few errands. You looked so peaceful, I didn�t have the heart to wake you. I�ll pick up some lunch on the way home.
 Love you,
 Jack xxx

Sam looked at the note curiously. �A few errands?� She questioned out loud. She shrugged her shoulders before getting out of bed and getting dressed. �So much for spending the day together� she thought to herself. She walked out into the kitchen and poured herself some coffee. Looking over at the sideboard she noticed the mountain of science journals she hadn�t read yet. �No time like the present� she said to herself before sitting down at the table and opening the first one.

At around midday, Jack walked into Sam�s apartment, arms full. He dropped his suit bag and a few shopping bags by the door before looking up. �Sam?� He called out.

�In the kitchen� came her reply.

Jack walked into the kitchen and saw her sitting at the table reading a journal and taking down notes. �Hey gorgeous� he said quietly when she didn�t look up.

Sam looked up at him and gasped when she saw he was holding a huge bunch of yellow roses, yellow being her favourite colour. �What are these for?�

Jack shrugged. �No reason, just wanted to let you know that I love you.� He handed her the bouquet and gave her a long, sensual kiss.

�Thank you� she breathed. �They�re beautiful, but you didn�t have to.�

�I know I didn�t have to but I wanted to.� He gave her another kiss before placing the lunch he�d bought on the table. �I got you a pasta salad, hope that�s alright.�

�Sounds great� she replied as she rummaged around for a vase.

�All right, just let me chuck some stuff in the bedroom and we�ll eat� Jack told her.

�What stuff?� Sam looked at him curiously.

�None of your business, nosy. And don�t you go rummaging around in *my* draw either.�

Sam shook her head with a laugh and got back to work, arranging the flowers perfectly in the vase.

Jack hung the suit bag up next to one of Sam�s dress uniform before hiding the shopping bags. He walked back into the kitchen to see Sam smelling the yellow roses, a beautiful smile on her face. She turned when she heard him come in and put her arms around his neck when he walked up to her. �Thank you for the roses. They�re so beautiful.�

�So are you� he replied earnestly.

Sam blushed, still not used to the compliments he paid her. She decided to change the subject. �So what have you been doing all morning?�

Jack shrugged, trying hard not to smile. �Nothing much. Just running some errands.�

Sam looked at him closely, wondering what it was he was hiding. She saw him trying not to smile and decided that, whatever it was, it was something good. She decided to drop it for now. �So how about some lunch?�

At about five o�clock Jack woke up on the sofa, Sam sprawled on top of him. They had been watching a movie and both of them had fallen asleep. It was not surprising. They had been working so hard lately and both of them were exhausted. He looked down at Sam. She had been working harder than most, fulfilling both her duties as a soldier and a scientist. He was amazed at how she could do both, but she did it smiling.

She stirred then, her blue eyes opening to see Jack looking at her. She smiled, stifling a yawn. �What time is it?�

�Time to get up and get ready� Jack replied, kissing her forehead.

�Get ready for what?� Sam asked, confused.

�I thought we might go out for dinner tonight� he replied nonchalantly.

�Go out for dinner? Jack what�s going on?�

�Nothing�s going on. I just thought it might be nice to go out for a change. Don�t you want to?�

�Of course I do, but we haven�t even booked anywhere.�

Jack smiled, motioning for her to get up. �Already taken care of. I passed this nice looking Italian restaurant this morning so I went in and booked us a table for seven.� He pushed her towards the bedroom. �Let�s go have a shower.�

�Together?� Sam asked innocently.

Jack grinned. �If we have one together then I don�t think we�ll ever get out of here.�

He saw Sam pout. �Tell you what, you go in and get started and I�ll come in and wash those hard to reach places in a few minutes.�

Sam laughed as she headed into the bathroom. Once Jack heard the shower start he went to the shopping bags he had hidden and pulled out a set of navy blue satin sheets. He quickly stripped the bed before putting the satin sheets on and remaking the bed, making sure that there was no satin showing. He was just getting undressed when he heard Sam calling him. �Jack? Are you coming or what?�

He chuckled, removing his boxers. �Not yet but I�m sure I will be soon.� He heard Sam giggling as he walked into the bathroom.

Jack watched Sam walk over to her underwear draw, towel wrapped around her torso. She rummaged around for something for a few moments. �Hey Sam� he called, walking over to the draw he�d claimed as his.

�Hmm� she replied absently, wondering where she�d placed her favourite bra. She looked at him when he didn�t answer and he threw her a package. It was wrapped in gold paper with a red bow. �What�s this?� She asked.

�Open it and find out� he replied, enigmatically.

Sam carefully unwrapped the present staring at it�s contents for a few moments.

�Do you like them?� Jack asked when she didn�t say anything.

Sam looked up at him. �I love them� she replied, picking up the red lacy bra and matching thong.

�How �bout you wear them with that red dress I love seeing you in?� He suggested.

Sam walked up and wrapped her arms around his neck. �After this I�ll wear anything you want.� She kissed him passionately before walking over to get dressed.

Jack did the same, pulling on a pair of dress pants and a white shirt..

Promptly at seven, Jack opened the door of the restaurant for Sam to go in. He allowed her to take in the atmosphere for a few moments. The place was dimly lit, with a candle on each table and several large candelabras providing the only lighting. In one corner a man was playing on a grand piano. Sam turned to Jack, a smile dimpling her cheeks. �This place is lovely� she said quietly.

Jack flashed her a smile before turning his attention to the man in front of him. �We had a reservation for O�Neill for seven.�

The man scanned the booking sheet. �Ah yes sir. Right this way.� He led the way to a table in the corner. He held the chair out for Sam to sit down before handing them a wine list and a menu. �I�ll be back in a few minutes to get your drinks order. Please take your time.�

A few hours later, after a fantastic meal and a little dancing, the couple emerged from the restaurant into the cool night air. Jack put his arm around Sam and led her over to her red Mustang. He opened the door for her before getting in the driver�s side and heading back to her place.

�That was a great night. I still don�t know what I did to deserve all the special treatment though.� Sam threw the keys on the side table as Jack shut the door.

�You�ve put up with me for almost three months.�

�Trust me Jack. Being with you has it�s own rewards, but thank you.�

�You�re more than welcome, but the night�s not over yet. I�ve still got a few more surprises up my sleeve.� He walked over to her and kissed her soundly. Before she could regain her senses, he picked her up and carried her to the bedroom where he proceeded to remove her coat, shoes and dress. He then pulled back the covers and laid her down on the satin sheets.

Sam shivered as the cool material caressed her heated skin. �Where�d these come from?� She asked.

Jack shrugged. �I bought them. I�ve never had satin sheets before. I thought they were kind of romantic.�

Sam smiled. �Everything�s been romantic.� She moaned as Jack settled himself on top of her.

�Good. That was the plan.� He met her lips with his own and no more words were spoken for a long time.

Finally sated, they laid together in each other�s arms, just enjoying the closeness. Suddenly Jack remembered the other things he�d bought on his expedition that morning. �Feel like some chocolate?� Jack asked, climbing out of bed and heading once again for his draw. He pulled out a box of chocolates and a teddy bear. He threw the teddy bear at Sam who caught it and started giggling. It was a brown bear wearing fatigues and had �Colonel� embroided on it�s little shirt. �Now he�s only allowed in bed when I�m not here okay?� Jack said as he crawled back into bed.

�I don�t know about that. I bet he doesn�t snore, or steel the covers...�

�Hey your the one that steels the covers missy. Anyway there are things that he can�t do in bed that you kinda like.�

Sam laughed and threw the bear onto the chair in the corner. �Point taken.�

They settled back in and Jack opened the box of chocolates. �Jack,� Sam began after she�d been fed a chocolate. �What�s all of this about?�

�I told you. I just wanted to show you I love you.�

�But you always show me you love me. Even on base, where we have to be Colonel and Major. Every time you smile at me or make a joke I can see how you feel.�

�And that�s enough for you?� Jack asked, clearly surprised by her words.

�Of course.� She looked at him for a moment and Jack could see her mind ticking over. �Jack did you think I wasn�t satisfied with our relationship?�

He shrugged. �Well are you? Haven�t you ever wished that I�d do something romantic?�

She turned and cupped his face in her hands. �You are romantic Jack. You make me dinner, and give me massages, and run me baths...� She kissed him. �And when we make love you always make sure I�m satisfied first.� She gave him another kiss. �That�s plenty of romance for me.�

�Really? So you don�t wish I�d take you out to dinner? Or give you flowers?�

She smiled. �I won�t say that I don�t like them, but I don�t feel like I have no romance in my life.�

Jack grinned at her and rolled so that she was underneath him. �So you think that I�m romantic when we make love?�

�Definitely� she replied in a husky voice.

�Care to get romantic then?� He proceeded to show her just how romantic he could be again... and again... and again.

THE END

Feedback?