A Matter of Trust

This one takes place after Adam leaves but before Jack arrives. I know that there is a BH episode with the same name but it was the perfect title.

Disclaimer: Blue Heelers its characters etc. are the property of Hal McElroy and Southern Star. The song 'How Do 1 Live' was produced by Tony Brown and Trisha Yearwood.

 

It was a typical day in Mount Thomas and Maggie and PJ were in the CI office discussing a case. "Do you really think that he could have done it?" Maggie asked.

"I don't know" PJ replied. He slumped back in his chair. "I'm so glad I've got the weekend off."

"Yeah, yeah rub it in why don't you" she laughed. She knew that he needed a break. He had been working too hard lately. "So are you going down to your Mum's?"

"That depends on what you are doing my dear."

"Some of us have to work you know."

"You can't work 24 hours a day. You need time to play as well." He gave her one of those million dollar smiles.

Maggie got up from her chair opposite him and walked around the table. "Maybe you could help me out there." A cheeky grin crossed her face.

"Only if you're good Margaret."

Maggie leaned down and kissed him lightly on the lips. The kiss deepened but they were interrupted by a knock on the door. The lovers sprang apart and when Dash opened the door they appeared to be working quietly. "What's up Dash?" PJ asked calmly. Inside his heart was pounding as it always did when he shared a moment with the woman he loved.

"There's a Jackie Ryan on line two for you." Dash answered.

"Ah thanks. Mags can you excuse me for a minute while I take this call?"

Maggie looked up at him in surprise before nodding and leaving, shutting the door behind her. In the main office Maggie walked up to Dash who had sat down at her desk. "Who's Jackie Ryan?" She tried to sound casual.

Ben overheard her question, "Jackie Ryan? Isn't she that gorgeous woman at the bank?"

"The very same Benjamin. Why do you want to know Maggie?"

Dash watched Maggie to see her reaction.

"No reason. Just couldn't put a face to the name."

"How does PJ do it? 1 don't get beautiful women ringing me." Ben complained.

"On the contrary Ben. I rang you up last week." Dash grinned playfully.

"Dash you got me out of bed to come in to work on my day off! I don't think that really counts." He laughed as she pretended to be offended.

Maggie had not been listening to her friends. She tried to appear busy while keeping one eye on the CI door. She turned around, startled, as Tom walked up behind her and spoke, "Doyle can you go and give out these summons notices please."

"Yeah Boss." She grabbed the notices from his hands as PJ walked out of his office with a big grin on his face.

"I'm just going out for a tic" he informed everyone. "Won't be long."

Maggie looked at him suspiciously. "I've got some summons notices to hand out if you want a lift."

"No. You go and hand them out, I'll be right." He grinned at her then walked out the door.

"It's not fair!" Ben groaned.

####

Maggie was driving along a street, deep in thought, when she spotted PJ's car parked ahead of her. She pulled the patrol car over and watched as PJ knocked on the door of a house. A beautiful woman opened it and let PJ in, shutting the door behind them both. Maggie sat there, staring at the closed door as the tears rolled down her cheeks. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself before driving off.

####

By the time Maggie arrived back at the station it was almost time to knock off. She did, however, have enough time to yell at Dash for not getting her paper work done, tell Ben off for not informing her of a missing persons report, and reluctantly go into PJ's office to discuss a fax he had received in regards to a case.

PJ immediately picked up on her bad mood, which was in stark contrast to his own. "Is everything all right Mags?"

"Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?" She wouldn't meet his gaze for fear of losing control of her emotions.

PJ shrugged off her coldness. "Do you want to come over tonight?"

"I'm really tired PJ. I might just have a night to myself."

"Oh. Okay then." He sounded disappointed. Maggie got up and left the room before he could say anything else.

####

Later that night, Maggie was sitting on the couch at her house. Dash had gone to her mother's and the house seemed strangely empty. Normally on such occasions PJ would be there, but not this time. Maggie was deep in thought when she heard a knock at the door. 'Oh hell' she thought. 'I don't think I'm ready to face him.' She got up and opened the door to see Ben standing there, bottle of wine in hand.

"Ben. What are you doing here?" She couldn't hide the surprise in her voice.

"You seemed a bit depressed this afternoon, so I thought I'd come over and see if you were okay."

"I'm okay, but do come in."

They walked into the lounge room and Maggie gestured for Ben to sit. She took the wine into the kitchen and returned a few moments later with two full glasses plus the bottle. She handed a glass to Ben before sitting down next to him on the lounge. They talked for what seemed like hours. About work and family. Then a comfortable silence fell over the room. Maggie looked across to see Ben looking at her. She smiled. "I'm glad you came over Ben. This place seemed really empty tonight."

"You shouldn't be by yourself on a Friday night Maggie. You should be out on a date or something." Maggie just laughed. I would have been out if PJ wasn't cheating on me' she thought.

Deep in thought, she didn't notice when Ben moved closer to her and only remembered he was there when he took her hand and kissed her on the cheek. Maggie looked up in surprise but as she went to protest he met her lips and kissed her passionately. Maggie didn't resist, but lent into him and deepened the kiss. It wasn't long before Ben was lying on top of Maggie with his shirt off, and Maggie's shirt unbuttoned. Before they got any further there was a knock on the door. Maggie got up and buttoned her shirt before going to the door, she didn't even think about who would be standing on the other side.

PJ was standing there holding a bottle of wine. He took one look at her and immediately recognised that flustered look. He'd caused that many a time. Out of the corner of his eye he caught Ben putting his shirt back on. He just turned and walked back down the path.

"PJ, wait." Maggie grabbed his arm and he swung around wildly.

"Night to yourself, hey Maggie." His face was taut with anger but Maggie could see the hurt in his eyes.

"Let me explain." The tears welled in her eyes.

"I don't want to hear it! I don't even want to look at you right now!" He turned around and went to leave,

"So it's all right for you to go and screw who ever you want but I have to be faithful. Is that it?" She spat the words, her anger bubbling to the surface.

PJ turned around quickly. "WHAT?!"

"I saw you go into that Jackie woman's house at lunchtime!"

"I can't believe after all this time you still don't trust me!"

"What are you saying that it was all innocent?" She looked at him incredulously.

"Yes it was!"

"Sure and I'm supposed to believe that?'

PJ walked up to her so that his face was only centimetres from hers. "Do you want to know why I was there? I was picking out which puppy I was going to get you for your birthday. Jackie breeds Blue Heelers." He stared at her for a few seconds before turning around and walking to his car, smashing the bottle on the path as he went.

"PJ!" Maggie yelled after him. He ignored her and got into his car, spinning the tyres as he went.

Ben had been watching in stunned amazement. Suddenly everything fell into place. He just couldn't believe he didn't see it before. Then none of this would have happened, 'Or would it?' he thought to himself. There was no denying that he was attracted to this woman. He shook the thought out of his head. She was with PJ, his mate.

Maggie hurried back to the door, brushing past Ben and grabbing her keys. "I'm so sorry Ben, but I have to talk to PJ. Please don't hate me for this." The tears that had been streaming down her face throughout the confrontation continued to fall.

"Just let him cool down Maggie. You're in no condition to drive anyway." He grabbed her arm but let go when she gave him a withering look.

"What would you know? Now get out so I can go and find him!" She pushed him out the door before getting into her car and heading to PJ's house.

####

PJ didn't go home. He drove down to the Imperial. Chris saw him walk in and went over to serve him. "G'day PJ. Are you the only one coming in tonight?"

"I'm not staying. I just want a bottle of Jack Daniels thanks Chris."

Chris looked at him with concern. He looked upset. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine." He replied without emotion.

Chris handed him the bottle. "I hope you're not planning on drinking all of that tonight."

"Not sure yet." He handed over the money. "Thanks Chris." He walked out before she could ask any more questions.

####

Maggie pulled up at PJ's place. She looked at the house which was dark and noted that PJ's car wasn't there. "Now where?" she said to herself. She started the car and took off down the street.

####

PJ drove out to the lookout and turned the car off. He wasn't sure why he had driven there. He opened the bottle of JD and took a long pull. His mind was racing with thoughts and images of Maggie. He got out of the car, locked it and headed down a bush track, the bottle in his hand.

####

Maggie walked quickly into the Imperial, heading straight for Chris. "Hey Chris have you seen PJ?"

"Yeah he was in here about 10 minutes ago. Is everything all right?"

Maggie looked up quickly. "Why do you ask?"

"PJ came in and bought a bottle of Jack Daniels and left. He looked really upset. So do you for that matter."

Maggie avoided the question. She knew that Chris had her suspicions about the two of them but she didn't want anyone else to know. Not why there was still hope of a reconciliation. "Do you know where he went?"

"He probably went home."

"No I just came from there. Thanks anyway Chris." Maggie walked out before Chris could say anything else.

####

The next morning Maggie walked into the station looking a mess. Her hair was untidy and there were dark circles under her eyes. Dash looked at her friend, worry crossing her face. "Are you all right Mags? You look terrible."

Maggie gave Dash a wan smile. "Gee thanks Dash. I'm fine. I just didn't sleep much last night." She went over and started making a coffee.

The phone rang and Dash took the call. Ben used the distraction to talk to Maggie. He wanted to know how she was, but also wanted to know where he stood. "So did you talk to him?"

"No I couldn't find him. I'm a bit worried actually. He went and bought a bottle of Jack Daniels but didn't go home. I hope he hasn't wrapped his car around a tree or something."

"Ah Maggie" Dash interrupted from across the room. "That was a report of an abandoned car at Lover's Leap. Do you want me to go and check it out?" she asked hopefully, trying to escape the mountain of paperwork on her desk.

"No Dash I'll go. I need the fresh air."

####

When Maggie drove to the lookout her heart skipped a beat. PJ's car stood alone in front of her. She got out to look at it. It was locked and there was no sign of PJ. 'Please tell me he's not at the bottom of the cliff?' she thought to herself. "PJ!"

She ran over to the edge and looked down but there was nothing to suggest he was down there so she started off down the bush track. The further she walked, the more anxious she became. 'What's he doing out here?'

Then it occurred to her, this was where he brought her for picnics. They would walk down to the creek. She quickened her pace so that she almost ran the rest of the way. She rounded the bend and saw PJ lying on the grass, empty bottle by his side. He wasn't moving and Maggie immediately assumed the worst. "PJ!" she yelled as she ran over to him. She shook him and he slowly stirred. His eyes focused on Maggie and it took him a few seconds to remember the events of the previous night.

He shrugged out of her grasp and sat up. "What are you doing here?" His head ached.

"There was a report of an abandoned car." She paused. "PJ we needed to talk about last night."

PJ tried to avoid the last sentence. He wasn't ready to talk now. His head was too clouded and he needed to think. "Isn't an abandoned car a bit beneath a Sergeant? I thought you had subordinates for that sort of thing."

"I needed some fresh air. I didn't exactly sleep much last night."

"No?" His tone was almost accusing.

"No. I was out looking for you most of the night."

"Oh you poor thing." His voice was thick with sarcasm. "I had a great sleep."

"Yeah but you drank a bottle of Jack Daniels to get it."

"What did you expect me to do? Go home and pretend nothing happened?"

"Nothing did happen PJ, it never got further than kissing."

"Yeah but would it if I hadn't turned up?" He looked straight into her eyes for the answer.

"I don't know." She replied truthfully.

PJ got up and walked down to the edge of the creek. Maggie followed. "Come on PJ, we have to talk about this." Her voice was pleading and lull of remorse.

He didn't face her. "Yeah we do but I need some time to think Maggie."

"Okay. I'll give you all the time you need." She started to walk away but turned around. "PJ." He looked at her. "I love you." She turned back around and left.

"I love you too" he whispered.

The tears finally came. PJ had been so angry the night before that he hadn't really felt the pain that now slowly engulfed him. His whole body shook as he struggled to control his emotions. Thoughts raced through his head. The woman he loved had betrayed him. Could he ever trust her again? He still loved her and she said that she loved him but was love enough?

PJ took a few deep breaths and tried to compose himself. He had to talk about this with someone and there was only one person who he knew he could depend on. He walked back to his car and headed straight for Melbourne.

####

Maggie returned to the station and went into the CI office. She wanted to be alone to think about what she would say to PJ when they did talk. She knew why she had allowed herself to succumb so easily to Ben's advances. Jealousy and revenge. She also knew that was no excuse. Would PJ forgive her?

Maggie's thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. "Come in." She tried to look busy. Ben walked in and shut the door behind him.

"Did you sort out that abandoned car?" He wasn't sure how to ask her about last night.

"It turned out it wasn't abandoned." She refused to meet his gaze, she knew why he was in there.

"No?"

"No. It was PJ'scar."

"Was he out there?

"Yeah."

Ben sat down opposite her. "Listen Maggie, about last night..."

Maggie interrupted him. "I'm sorry Ben but that shouldn't have happened. I was angry with PJ and used you to get back at him. I hope you can forgive me."

"Are you sure that's all it was?"

"Yes. I love PJ."

Ben looked at her and smiled. "Look I know what it's like when your partner is having an affair. My wife was cheating on me before we split up."

"Yeah but that's just it. PJ wasn't cheating on me. He was so secretive about this woman and it seemed the only solution. You know I think it upset him more that I didn't trust him."

"How long have you been seeing each other?"

"Sixteen months."

"Wow!"

Maggie smiled at Ben's surprise. "You won't tell anyone will you Ben? I mean everyone will probably find out if PJ won't forgive me, but..."

"He'll forgive you Maggie. Just give him some time, and if he doesn't there's always me."

Maggie looked up at him sharply and he immediately regretted what he'd just said. "Sorry. I didn't..."

"I can't believe you! Get out!"

Ben promptly left, shutting the door behind him.

####

PJ pulled up outside his mother's house and got out of the car. He knew his mother would help him sort out his feelings. He knocked on the door. There was no answer. He knocked again, but still the door remained closed. The tears welled in his eyes. He had driven for two hours and now his mother wasn't home.

He walked back to the car and slumped into the driver's seat. When he needed someone to talk to Maggie or his mum were always there. He couldn't talk to Maggie and his mum wasn't home so who else was there? Then he remembered the person who had helped him come to terms with killing Raelene Darcy.

PJ started the car and headed for Nick and Zo�'s house.

####

Nick and Zo� had been eating lunch when there was a knock on the door. Both looked at each other as neither wanted to get up. "It's your turn" Nick informed his wife. "I got the last phone call."

Zo� reluctantly got up, walked through the house and opened the door. "PJ! What a pleasant surprise. Nick it's PJ."

"Is there a blonde with him?" Nick called back cheekily.

Zo� saw PJ's face fall. "Is everything all right PJ?"

"Oh you know, it's been better. I'm sorry to disturb you but I needed to talk to Nick."

"You're not disturbing us. I was just about to go to work but Nick's in the kitchen." She showed him the way before kissing her husband goodbye and leaving.

"So Patrick, to what do I owe the pleasure?" He grinned at his friend but his grin faded when he saw the look on PJ's face. "What's up mate?" He gestured for PJ to sit.

"I have a problem that I need to talk about but you have to swear to keep it to yourself."

"All right, but why couldn't you talk to Maggie about it?" He knew the two were close and suspected that they were more than friends,

"She's the problem." PJ told Nick about their secret relationship and then retold the events of the previous night and that morning.

"So she thought that you were having an affair with Jackie Ryan, who would be a good choice by the way."

"Nick!"

"Just kidding. Does Maggie know you're down here?" PJ shook his head. "Well how about I ring her and tell her where you are so she doesn't think you've thrown yourself off a cliff. Then we can talk about what to do. Okay?"

"Yeah. Thanks mate."

####

Dash looked from Ben to Maggie. Both were sitting quietly at their respective desks but there was an obvious tension between them. The phone rang and Dash jumped to answer it. "Mount Thomas Police, Constable McKinley speaking."

"Well, well, well. Deidre McKinley!"

"Nick!" Dash practically screamed. Her colleagues looked up eagerly and Tom came out of his office. "How are you? How's Zo�?"

"We're good. How's everything there?"

"Same as always. Is this a social call or did you want something?"

"I need to speak to Maggie actually."

"Oh fine then," Dash pretended to be offended but handed the phone to Maggie.

"Hey there Nick."

"Hello Margaret. How are things going with those three stripes? Pressure got to you yet?"

"Oh you know. It has its moments."

"Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Look I just rang to tell you that PJ is at our place."

Maggie didn't know how to react. "Um... thanks Nick. Is he all right?"

"I think he'll live. I just wanted to let you know where he was so you wouldn't worry."

"Thanks." She tried to ignore the curious stares from her co-workers. "Do you want to talk to the Boss?"

"Yeah put the old bloke on." he joked. "Don't you dare tell him I said that!" he added quickly.

Maggie handed the phone to Tom and tried to leave before the questions started. Dash, however, was too quick. "What was alt that about Maggie?"

"Ah... nothing really."

"It didn't sound like nothing,"

"Umm... Nick was just telling me that... a friend of mine was in a car accident." It was the best she could do but Dash seemed to buy it.

"Are they all right?"

"Yeah, he'll be fine." She escaped to PJ's office before there were anymore questions.

####

Nick got off the phone and returned to the kitchen, where PJ was making coffee. "Have you eaten mate?" Nick asked.

"Nah, I'm not hungry."

"C'mon at least have some of my sponge cake. You know you LOVE my sponge cake." Nick waved the cake in front of PJ, making him smile for the first time that day.

"Okay Nick, I'll have some cake."

"Good man."

The two men were soon sitting at the kitchen table with coffee and cake. Nick was the first to speak. "Okay mate. What do you want to do about Maggie?"

PJ sighed. "I don't know. I just don't know if I can trust her now."

"You still love her don't you?"

"Yeah I do."

"Well there's your answer."

"Huh?" PJ looked at Nick in confusion.

"You can't learn to love someone mate, but you can learn to trust them."

"Yeah but that's easier said than done Nick, especially when we're trying to keep it a secret."

"If you love her as much as I think you do then you can make it work. Maybe it's time to tell everyone anyway. You've proven that you can still work well together."

"Maybe, but your right Nick. I've waited too long for this to just let it go without a fight."

"I'm always right." Nick grinned before taking a bite of his cake.

PJ looked at his friend. How could someone who was such a bozo be so good to talk to about serious matters? PJ looked at his watch and was shocked when he realised it was 4:30PM. "I better get going I s'pose. Do you mind if I borrow your phone?"

"Only if you're calling a certain blonde sergeant."

"I'll take that as a yes then." He laughed at Nick and went into the other room.

Despite his resolution to work things out, his heart thumped as he dialled the number. The phone was picked up and a deep voice answered. "Mount Thomas police, Senior Constable Stewart speaking."

PJ nearly hung up when he heard Ben, but he couldn't blame him for anything. He hadn't known that Maggie and PJ were involved. "Hi Ben. Can I speak to Maggie please?"

"Yeah I'll just get her for you." Ben answered. He looked at the phone, confused. How could PJ be so nice to him after what had happened? Ben knocked on the CI door and opened it. "Ah Maggie, PJ's on line two for you."

"Thanks" she replied coolly.

Maggie took a few deep breaths and waited for Ben to shut the door before picking up the phone. "PJ?"

"Hi Maggie. I'm just leaving Melbourne so I'll be home in two hours. Do you want to come to my place so we can talk?"

Maggie let herself smile slightly. "Yeah. I finish work at seven, so I'll come over then okay?"

"Okay then. Bye."

"Bye." Maggie hung up the phone. It was hard to tell from PJ's voice what he was thinking but at least they were going to talk. Would it be to make up or break up?

Maggie checked her watch. Two and a half hours to go. She turned on the radio in PJ's office, then on impulse she rang the radio station. "Hello I'd like to request a song."

####

PJ had been driving for about an hour and a half, just listening to the radio and thinking about what he was going to say to Maggie. He listened to the end of the six o'clock news then the announcer came on. "Now we have our love songs by request program. You ring in and dedicate a song to the love of your life."

PJ was just about to change stations when the announcer continued. "This first request is a very important one. It is for PJ Hasham who is driving back from Melbourne right now. PJ the love of your life says she's sorry and she hopes you can forgive her. So here's the song dedicated to PJ."

How do I get through one night without you?
If I had to live without you
What kind of life would that be?
Oh and I, I need you in my arms
Need you to hold
You're my world, my heart, my soul
If you ever leave

Baby you would take away everything good in my life.

Without you there'd be no sun in my sky
There would be no love in my life
There'd be no world left for me
And I, baby I don't know what I would do
I'd be lost if I lost you
If you ever leave
Baby you would take away everything real in my life.

And tell me now
How do I live without you?
I want to know
How do I breathe without you?
If you ever go
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live

If you ever leave
Baby you would take away everything
Need you with me
Baby 'cause you know that you're everything good in my life
And tell me now

How do I live without you?
I want to know
How do I breathe without you?
If you ever go
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live

The tears slowly rolled down PJ's cheeks as the announcer came back on the radio. "That was Trisha Yearwood and 'How Do I Live' for PJ Hasham. Now we have..."

PJ's thoughts went back to the first time he'd heard that song. It was the first night that Maggie had stayed at his place and they had woken up to the song playing on the radio. Maggie said that the words were exactly how she felt about him and from that day on it had become their song.

####

Maggie was also listening to the radio. The tears welled in her eyes as she remembered the many times they danced to that song, and the many times it played while they made love. She wondered if PJ had been listening.

Suddenly Dash rushed into the CI office. She had been listening to the radio in the main office. "Did you hear that?! Someone dedicated a love song to PJ!"

Maggie blinked away the tears before Dash could see them. "Yeah I heard."

"I wonder who she is. Maybe it's someone from Melbourne. Do you know who it is?" Maggie shook her head. Dash continued on. "I wonder what she did? It must have been really bad hey."

Maggie looked at her colleague incredulously. "Dash. Why don't you just mind your own business!" She was immediately apologetic. "I'm sorry. I'm just having a really bad day."

"That's all right, but you know I can't help myself. I'm..."

"A McKinley- I know." Maggie gave a small laugh.

"Exactly!" Dash looked at her friend. "You look exhausted. Why don't you go home. It's been pretty quiet here."

Maggie looked at her watch- "I'll go about six thirty. I just want to finish up some paper work first. Shouldn't you be doing the same?"

Dash looked at Maggie sheepishly. "Yes Ma'am,"

####

PJ walked into his house and immediately went and showered. After he dressed he wandered around the house tidying up and trying to occupy himself. He put on a CD and was just considering pouring himself a drink when there was a knock at the door. He looked at his watch, quarter to seven. She was early.

He opened the door and there was Maggie. She'd gone home and changed into a pair of jeans and a top that PJ had bought for her when they were at Hamilton Island.

"Hi PJ" she said tentatively.

"Hi. Come in." He stood back and let her into the house, shutting the door behind her. Maggie went and sat on the couch and PJ sat in a chair opposite her. They sat in awkward silence, neither knowing what to say.

Maggie spoke up. "PJ I'm so sorry about what happened. I was just so sure you were seeing that woman. I know that's no excuse but I was so hurt."

"That's funny 'cause that's what I'm feeling right now. Hurt and betrayed. You know I don't know what's worse, what you did or why you did it."

"I'm sorry. I don't know what else I can say."

PJ looked at her and saw the remorse in her eyes. His defences weakened. 'Tell me one thing, do you honestly still love me?"

The tears slid down Maggie's cheeks. "With all my heart."

PJ gave a small smile and walked over to her. "You know I love you more than anything. I can't just forget what happened and I'll have to learn to trust you again but I don't want to lose you." He put his arms around her and pulled her into his embrace. She snuggled into his chest.

"I couldn't live without you PJ." She whispered.

"So I heard on the radio."

She pulled away from him and gave a little grin. "I can't believe I actually did that. It's so unlike me. I guess love does funny things to people."

PJ laughed, then his expression turned serious. "Promise me something Mags."

"Anything."

"If there's something bothering you then come and talk to me about it before you jump to conclusions."

"I promise."

PJ cupped her chin and kissed her gently on the lips. Maggie lent into his embrace and the kiss deepened. Their hands roamed each other's bodies. At that moment there was a loud crash in the laundry. The couple jumped. "What was that?" asked Maggie, startled.

PJ laughed. "That, my dear, was probably your birthday present destroying my laundry."

Maggie grinned. "You mean you still bought it?"

"Him actually, and yes I did get him. I figured I could always keep him if... you know."

PJ got up and led Maggie to the laundry. He opened the door and out bounded a little Blue Heeler. He raced around excitedly until PJ picked him up and handed him to Maggie. "Happy birthday for tomorrow Maggs."

Maggie grinned at her lover. She knew it would take time for him to trust her but they were together again and one thing was for sure, she wouldn't risk losing him this time.

The end

Feedback?