Hope for the Future

SPOILERS: none

SEASON/SEQUEL: Set season 2. Sequel to 'A Means To An End'.

RATING: PG-13 (adult themes, but nothing that you wouldn't see on the show)

CATEGORY: Olivia/Elliot relationship, angst

SUMMARY: Elliot and Olivia are now happily living together, but how does a heartbreaking incident affect their relationship?

DISCLAIMER: The TV series Law & Order: SVU is the property of NBC and Wolf Films. This fan fiction piece was created for entertainment not monetary purposes. Previously unrecognized characters and places, and the story, are copyrighted to the author. No infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended.

AUTHORS NOTES: A huge thanks to Shae for beta'ing for me!

FEEDBACK: Yes Please! I�d love to know what you think, but no flames please.

~~o0o~~

�Rise and shine, sleepy head!� Elliot called, walking into Olivia�s room.

Olivia groaned, burying herself deeper into the covers. �G�way,� she grumbled.

Elliot laughed. �C�mon, �Liv. If you don�t get up now, we�re gonna be late for work.�

�How can you be so cheerful in the morning?� she complained, opening her eyes.

�I�ve been up for a couple of hours,� he told her, handing her a cup of coffee.

She looked at him like he�d gone mad. �Why?�

He shrugged. �Thought it was time I started running again. Went out and did a couple of miles, then came back and had a shower.�

�You went for a run? Are you sure you�re ready for that?� She shot him a concerned look, which he immediately spotted.

�Doc. says I�m fine,� he assured her.

She nodded, satisfied by his reply. She knew his doctor wouldn't allow him to overdo it. She yawned and stretched. "I guess I should jump in the shower then."

�While you do that, I'll fix breakfast,� he told her, walking back out of the room.

She smiled as she watched him leave. She was used to having him around now. The first couple of weeks had been hard. Elliot wasn�t the world�s greatest patient and she had been eternally grateful when the doctor had told him he could go back to work on desk duty. Once he'd had something to do, he was a lot easier to live with and they had a routine now.

Elliot was always up first and he showered and shaved before waking her. Then, while she showered, he prepared breakfast. They ate together before heading into the precinct.

Sighing, Olivia dragged herself out of bed, grabbing her robe and heading to the shower. When she entered the kitchen half an hour later, she saw Elliot seated at the kitchen table, reading the paper. �Anything interesting?� she asked, as she sat down opposite him.

�Same old, same old,� he replied, looking up. �I got you a bagel. Hope that�s all right?�

�Sounds good. Where�d you get these from?�

�I found a bakery while I was out running. Ducked in and bought them on the way back.�

�Mmm, they're delicious," she remarked.

They continued to eat breakfast, Elliot reading her interesting excerpts from the paper and discussing their latest case.

*****

Munch sat down at his desk and looked at his watch before glancing at Elliot and Olivia�s empty chairs. �They�re late,� he observed.

�By two minutes,� Fin pointed out.

�Do you think they�re sleeping together yet?�

�I think you should mind your own business. Can�t a man and a woman be friends without the whole sexual thing?�

�Of course,� Munch replied. �But you can�t tell me you haven�t seen the chemistry between them?�

�I doubt that Elliot�s ready to get into something so soon after breaking up with his wife. Especially something as complicated as a relationship with a colleague.�

�I don�t know. It�s been almost two months. He probably wouldn�t feel up to dating yet, but he�s living with her and Olivia�s apartment isn�t exactly large.�

Fin was about to make a smart reply when the objects of their discussion walked in.

�Good morning,� Elliot greeted.

�Morning,� Munch and Fin chorused.

�Where have you two been?� Cragen asked, walking up to them.

Olivia checked her watch. �Sorry, there was an MVA and we got caught in traffic.�

�All right, well I need to see you in my office. We�ve got a new case.�

They both nodded, putting their coats on the rack and following their boss.

"What have we got?" Olivia asked, taking a seat.

"They found a John Doe in a dumpster at the back of an apartment block on West 34th Street. He'd been beaten and sodomized." He handed Olivia the file.

She opened it up and skimmed the cover page. "We'll get right on it."

*****

By late that afternoon, both Elliot and Olivia had proceeded as far as they could on their case. �We may as well leave it for today,� Olivia said, closing her file. �There�s not much more we can do until we get the DNA profile back.�

�Yeah,� Elliot agreed, looking at his watch. �I suppose I should go and pick up the kids.� He looked at her. �Are you sure you don�t mind them staying over?� he asked.

�Elliot, they�re your children. Of course they can stay. It�ll be a bit cramped, but we�ll manage.�

�You�re the best, �Liv. I�ll see you at home.�

�Do you want me to get something for dinner?� she asked, collecting her things.

�Nah, we�ll just order in. They�d be happier with pizza anyway,� he replied, waving goodbye as he walked out.

Olivia turned to say goodbye to Munch and Fin, only to notice them both looking at her. �What?� she asked.

�Nothing,� Fin replied, giving Munch a pointed look.

She doubted it was nothing, but got the feeling that she probably didn�t want to know. �Well, I�ll see you both on Monday.�

�Have a good weekend,� Fin told her.

*****

Elliot walked up the path of his old home, trying to quell the knot in his stomach. This was the first time he would have the kids overnight since he�d moved out. Neither he, nor Kathy had thought it a good idea for him to have them overnight while he was recuperating. Maureen and Kathleen wouldn�t have been so bad, but the twins were a bundle of energy and his doctor had warned against overexerting himself.

He took a deep breath and pushed the doorbell. �It�ll be fine,� he told himself. �We�ll have lots of fun and they won�t want to come home.�

The door opened and he smiled tentatively at his soon-to-be ex-wife. �Hi,� she greeted, her smile as tentative as his. It seemed he wasn't the only one feeling unsure by the situation. He opened his mouth to ask her how she was when Dickey raced up and threw himself into his father�s arms.

�Dickey, be careful!� Kathy cried. "You'll hurt your father!"

�It�s okay,� Elliot assured her, hugging his son close. �Doc�s given me a clean bill of health.�

Kathy smiled, relieved. Elliot thought it was nice to see that she still cared about his welfare. �Well, come in. The kids are almost ready,� she told him.

�Great,� Elliot replied, carrying Dickey into the house.

�I�m ready, Dad,� the little boy declared, pointing to his bag and pillow waiting by the door.

�You�re a good boy,� Elliot told him. He put his son down and turned, noticing for the first time that there was someone else in the house.

�This is Brian, a friend of mine,� Kathy told him. �Brian, this is Elliot.�

�Nice to meet you,� Brian said, stepping forward and offering his hand. He grinned widely, a little too widely Elliot thought.

�Yeah,� Elliot replied, shaking the man�s hand and throwing a questioning glance at Kathy.

Kathleen wandered down with her things then, dispelling any coming awkwardness as she gave her father an enthusiastic hug. �I missed you, Dad,� she told him.

Elliot�s throat tightened at the admission. �I�ve missed you too, sweetheart.�

Elizabeth was soon down the stairs and ready as well, leaving only his eldest child still to come. �Come on, Maureen,� Elliot called.

�I�m not going,� she said, walking down the stairs.

�What do you mean? We�ve had this planned for a week.�

�I don�t want to sit there and see you all playing happy families with your new girlfriend,� she spat. She turned and stormed back up the stairs, leaving Elliot staring after her.

�I�ll go talk to her,� Kathy said, following her eldest up the stairs.

Elliot turned to look at Brian. He was a little awkward, unsure what this man was to Kathy. A part of him was jealous, but he knew he shouldn�t be. She was free to see whoever she wanted to, just as he was free to do the same. �So, Brian. What do you do for a living?� he asked, trying to break the awkward silence.

�I�m a construction manager,� Brian replied. �I understand you�re a detective?�

�That�s right,� Elliot agreed, wondering how he knew. Had Kathy been talking about him? He couldn�t help but wonder whether it had been in a good light or a bad one. He sat down on the sofa, noticing that Kathy had been rearranging the furniture.

�Kathy told me that you were recently shot in the line of duty?� Brian continued, sitting in one of the overstuffed chairs.

�Yeah, a couple of months ago.�

�But the Doctors and �Livia made him all better, didn�t they, Dad?� Dickey butted in, crawling onto his father�s lap.

�That�s right, buddy. They looked after me, didn�t they?�

�Yup.� Dickey looked at his father for a second. �Is �Livia gonna be there tonight?�

�Yeah, she is. Is that okay with you?�

�Yeah. I like her, she�s cool.�

Elliot was pleased. After Maureen�s reaction he�d thought perhaps moving in with Olivia had been a bad idea.

Kathy walked back down the stairs then, shaking her head. �I�m sorry, she�s adamant. We�re probably better off not pushing her on this.�

Elliot nodded, trying to hide the hurt that he felt. �Okay,� he agreed. He looked to the other three. �You guys ready to go?�

�Yeah!� they enthused, looking happy at spending some time with their father.

�Say goodbye to your mother then,� he told them, as he rose and headed for the door.

After saying their goodbyes they exited the house, bundling into the car.

*****

Olivia had just finished watching the evening news when the door opened and her partner walked in, kids in tow. �Hey,� she greeted.

�Hey, �Liv,� Elliot greeted.

�How are you guys going?� she asked, addressing the children

�Good!� they chorused.

�Why don�t you guys go and put your gear in my room?� Elliot suggested. �We can organize sleeping arrangements later.�

�Okay, Dad,� they agreed, heading off to do as their father said.

�Where�s Maureen?� Olivia asked, once they�d left.

�She didn�t want to come,� he replied, trying to act nonchalant.

Olivia saw right through his mask. �Are you okay?� she asked, reaching out and laying a hand on his arm.

He shrugged. �She seems to think we�re in a relationship and isn�t impressed.�

�Oh,� Olivia replied, looking to the floor.

�Hey.� He reached out and lifted her chin so she looked at him. �It�s not your fault,� he told her. �She�s just going to have to get used to the fact that I live here.� He grinned. �Besides, you seem to have won Dickey's heart.�

She raised an eyebrow but before she could question him the kids were walking back out into the living room.

�What�s for dinner?� Kathleen asked.

�Do you guys feel like pizza?� Olivia asked.

�Yeah!� they cried.

Elliot grinned. �I think you just scored a brownie point,� he whispered in Olivia�s ear.

Olivia laughed, shaking her head in amusement. She turned to look at the three children, who had promptly made themselves at home. Kathleen was looking at a novel of Olivia's, while Elizabeth and Dickey were fighting over the remote. "So," she began. "You guys don't like anchovies on your pizza too, do you?"

She was met with a resounding "no!" that made her smile. She sat down in one of the arm chairs, feeling herself start to relax. She hadn't realized just how nervous she'd been about the kids staying. She wanted them to like her, because they were so important to their father and because she wanted him to be able to spend more time with them. She knew that he'd missed them over the past couple of months and had been looking forward to them coming all week. The thing was, she didn't have much experience with children and she didn't want to mess things up by doing or saying anything stupid. 'I can do this,' she told herself. "So, what kind of pizza should we get then?" she asked aloud.

*****

Olivia sat on the sofa reading late the next afternoon. Elliot had taken the children out for the day and, although she�d been invited, Olivia thought they deserved some time alone together so she had stayed at home. She was so engrossed in the book she was reading that she never heard the first knock at the door.

When the noise finally registered, she got to her feet and hurried to answer it. She was surprised to see Elliot�s eldest daughter standing there. �Hey, Maureen,� she greeted. �You�re Dad�s not here at the moment.�

�I know. I... I wanted to talk to you.�

Olivia immediately picked up on her nervousness. �Come on in then,� she said, opening the door wider and allowing the teenager in. �Would you like something to drink?�

Maureen shook her head, taking a seat in the living room.

�What can I do for you?� Olivia asked, when Maureen said nothing further.

�Are you my Dad�s girlfriend?� she asked, not exactly surprising Olivia.

�No, honey, I�m not. You�re Dad and I are good friends, that�s all.�

Maureen nodded. �So, you don�t have to tell him everything?�

�No,� Olivia replied carefully, unsure where this was going. �If there�s something that you want to talk to me about, I won�t say anything to him if you don�t want me to.�

She seemed to relax slightly at that. �That�s good. I don�t want Dad to know about this.�

�About what, Maureen?� The teenager stiffened again and Olivia was horrified to see tears in her eyes. �Did someone hurt you?� she asked gently.

Maureen nodded as the tears started falling. �I told him no. I begged him to stop but he wouldn�t! It hurt *so* much and he wouldn�t stop!�

Olivia pulled the crying girl into her arms, holding her close and whispering soothing words. Once she�d calmed down, Olivia pulled back a little. �Honey, do you know the man who did this to you?�

Maureen nodded. �He said... he said he�d kill me if I told.�

�It�ll be okay,� Olivia assured her. �I�m going to help you and we�re going to put him away for a long time, okay?�

�I can�t do it, Olivia. Everyone will find out!�

�Sweetheart, you need to do this. You�re never going to feel safe until he�s been put away. You�re the only one who can stop him from doing this to anyone else.� She gave her a squeeze. �Do you want to call your mom?�

Maureen jumped up from the sofa. �No! You can�t tell her! She won�t believe me! She�ll think I�m lying!�

�Why would she think that?� Olivia asked, trying to draw her near again.

The teenager paused. �Because it was her friend who did it,� she whispered. �She left me at home with him and he raped me!� she cried.

�Honey, I�m going to help you, okay? Now in order to help, I have to ask you some questions. They�re going to be hard, but just take your time and answer as best you can, okay?�

Maureen nodded, taking a deep breath and steeling herself for the coming questions.

�Okay,� Olivia began. �Now, did he use a condom?�

Maureen shook her head, her lip quivering. �No. I�m so scared he got me pregnant,� she admitted.

�So he ejaculated?�

�Yes,� she whispered.

�Okay, we need to get you to the hospital and let them do a rape kit. They can also give you a pill to stop you getting pregnant and some medication to protect against HIV and other STD�s.�

�Oh, God, I hadn�t thought of that!� Maureen cried. �He could have given me AIDS!�

�Come on,� Olivia coaxed. �Let's get you to the hospital.�

�But then they�ll have to call mom and Dad! I don�t want them there.�

�Honey, you�re sixteen now. They don�t have to call your parents. Trust me, okay?�

�Okay,� she agreed.

Olivia sighed in relief. Of course she knew it wouldn't be that simple. Since the Special Victims Unit would be handling the case, Elliot was sure to find out and besides, she wasn't sure if she could keep it from him. She shook her head. She could deal with all of that later, right now her main concern was Maureen.

*****

Olivia and Maureen were half way to the hospital when the car phone rang. Olivia reached over and pressed talk. �Benson.�

�Hey, �Liv, it�s me,� Elliot greeted. �I just wanted to let you know I won�t be home for dinner.�

�Everything okay?� she asked, glancing over and giving Maureen a reassuring smile.

Elliot sighed. �Not really. Maureen hasn�t come back to Kathy�s. She was supposed to be back last night, but never showed.�

Olivia looked across at Maureen. The teenager looked back at her and Olivia could see she was scared. Taking one hand off the wheel, she grasped Maureen�s hand, showing her support.

�I�m here, Dad,� Maureen finally said.

There was a pause. �Maureen? What... Where in the hell have you been?! We�ve been worried sick about you! What do you think you�re playing at?!� He paused and they could hear him telling Kathy that she was okay.

A moment later, Kathy was on the line. �You get home this instant, young lady, or you�ll be forty by the time you�re allowed out of this house again!�

�No, mom. I�m staying with Dad and Olivia. Olivia already said I could.� Maureen looked absolutely terrified at the thought of going back there.

�I don�t give a damn what she said! I am your mother and I want you home!�

�Listen, Kathy,� Olivia butted in. �I really think it would be best if Maureen stayed with us for tonight. If you can tell Elliot that we�ll meet him at home later, I�d really appreciate it.� She pressed the end button before turning the phone off.

�Thank you,� Maureen whispered. �I�m sorry they�re gonna be mad at you.�

�It�s okay, honey. I can handle it.� She gave Maureen�s hand a reassuring squeeze before putting both hands back on the wheel.

They drove the rest of the way in silence. When they arrived at the hospital, Maureen just sat in the passenger seat, not making a move to get out of the car.

�Come on,� Olivia coaxed. �I�ll be with you the whole time, okay?�

�You promise?�

�I promise,� she swore.

They got out of the car and Olivia led the terrified teenager into the ER.

�Hi, Olivia,� a tall brunette greeted. �What can we do for you?�

�Hi, Judy. I need a rape kit done,� Olivia replied, squeezing Maureen�s shoulders.

Judy gave Maureen a sympathetic smile. �Okay, I�ll find you a private room. I need a name for the admissions board.�

�Maureen Stabler,� Olivia replied. She saw Judy�s startled look but thankfully the nurse never commented on it.

�Okay, I�ll be back in a minute. Just take a seat.�

When she returned a few minutes later, Judy led them to a private room and gave Maureen a gown to change into. �Maureen, I need you to lie back now and we�ll get started.�

As she lay down, Maureen grabbed Olivia�s hand, gripping it tightly.

�Try to relax,� Olivia coaxed, reaching out and stroking the girl�s hair. �It�ll be over soon.�

�Okay, Maureen. I�m going to begin.�

*****

Meanwhile, at the Stabler house, Kathy was seeing red. �She has no right to undermine my authority! I am Maureen�s mother! Just because you�re screwing her--�

�Okay, that�s enough!� Elliot shouted. �Firstly, not that it�s any of your business, but Olivia and I are friends, nothing more. Secondly, she would only do this if she had a good reason. Think about it, Maureen wanted nothing to do with her last night. She wouldn�t have gone to Olivia unless she felt she had no one else to turn to. That includes you and me. We should think ourselves lucky she went to someone that can be trusted.� He reached out and squeezed Kathy�s hand. �She�s safe, so now we have to try and work out why she felt she couldn�t come home.�

Kathy nodded, tears welling. �You�re right. It�s just... it hurts that she felt she could go to Olivia but not me.�

�I know. It hurts me too.�

�I feel like I�m losing everything to that woman,� she whispered.

�Don�t blame Olivia, Kathy. It�s not her fault. She�s done nothing but be a friend to me.�

*****

Elliot was pacing the confines of the living room, almost crawling out of his skin. He�d returned home half an hour before, only to find the apartment empty. He�d tried Olivia�s cell phone, but she�d switched it off. He had no idea where she was, so all he could do was wait for her to get home with Maureen.

He was just considering pouring himself a stiff drink when he heard the key in the lock of the front door. He was over there in a flash, confronting them as they walked in. �What in the hell do you think you're doing, scaring us like that?!" he raged. He had been planning on being calm and getting her side of the story, but the waiting had almost driven him out of his mind with worry.

Then he stopped to look at them both. Maureen was deathly pale, her eyes red rimmed and bloodshot. Olivia had her arms wrapped protectively around his daughter and he could see a sadness in her eyes that made his blood freeze. �What happened?� he whispered.

Maureen�s face crumbled and she launched herself into her father�s arms. �Daddy,� she sobbed.

�It�s okay, sweetheart,� he whispered, rocking her gently. �Daddy�s here now.� He looked across at his partner, needing to know what had happened.

One look at her face told him she didn't want to be the one to give him the news, whatever that was. She was his best friend and he knew she was trying to protect him from something. In the end, she didn't have to say a word. As he ushered his daughter over to the sofa, there was a knock at the door. Olivia opened it to find Munch standing there. "I just wanted to let you know that we got him."

Olivia looked over at Elliot as the reality of the situation sunk in. If Munch was involved, that meant it was an SVU case. It hit him like a punch to the gut. His little girl had been raped. He saw the emotions playing across Olivia's face and had to resist the urge to pull her to him and console them both in an embrace. He shook those thoughts from his mind as Munch walked further into the apartment.

"It's going to be okay now, Maureen," Munch told the teenager. "He's pleaded guilty, which means that you won't have to go to court or anything."

She nodded, looking at Olivia. "I need a shower."

"Okay. Come on, I'll get you a towel and a change of clothes."

As they went into Olivia's room, Elliot turned to Munch. "Who was it?"

He saw his colleague hesitate and knew he was reluctant to tell him. He couldn't say he blamed the man, the way he was feeling right now, even he wasn't sure what he would do in the same situation.

"I need to know," Elliot pleaded.

"His name is Brian Lewis," Munch eventually told him.

Something clicked in Elliot's mind. "That guy Kathy was seeing?!"

Munch nodded. "We had Huang talk to the other kids, just to make sure he hadn't touched them. He hadn't."

Elliot nodded, agitated. "How could she let him near my kids?!" he finally exploded.

"Come on, Elliot," Olivia said from behind him. "You know Kathy would never do anything to hurt the children. She's got to be blaming herself enough as it is."

"She was pretty distraught when we picked him up at her house," Munch added.

Elliot sighed, running a hand across his face in agitation. "So he pleaded guilty?"

"She won't have to testify," Munch assured him. "This guy knew pretty quickly his best bet was to play nice." He headed for the door. "Huang said he'd come and see Maureen if you wanted."

"Thanks," Olivia replied, casting a worried look at her partner.

"Call me if you need me," Munch told them, offering his support.

Elliot paced the small confines of the apartment as Olivia saw Munch out. He felt like he was about to explode, every instinct in him demanding that he find Brian Lewis and pummel him until he stopped breathing.

Olivia stepped in front of him then, stopping his pacing and offering him a stiff drink. "Thought you might need this."

"Thanks, 'Liv," he replied, taking a generous gulp.

Olivia sipped her own drink, making a face when the alcohol burned down her throat. He softened a little as he looked at her, knowing she wouldn't let him do anything stupid. He'd never been more relieved to have Olivia in his life than he was at that moment.

*****

When Maureen was still in the bathroom an hour later, Olivia started to get concerned. She walked over to the bathroom door and knocked softly. "Maureen? Are you okay in there?"

"I'll be out in a minute," she heard a soft voice reply.

The teenager opened the door a few minutes later. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I just couldn't get clean."

"That's okay," Olivia assured her, taking in the redness of the young woman's skin. "Come on. I'll make you something to eat. What do you feel like?"

"I'm not hungry."

Olivia sighed. "I know you're not, but you really should try and eat something. How about some soup? It'll only be from a tin but it'll warm you up."

Maureen just shrugged and followed her out of the bedroom.

Olivia left Maureen cocooned in her father's arms and went to the kitchen to make them something to eat. As she opened the can of soup, she cursed herself for not knowing how to cook better. She could have made the young woman some real comfort food. But then, she mused, what was comfort food when you'd been raped by your mother's boyfriend?

She warmed the soup and ladled it into three bowls. As an afterthought she buttered some bread, placing it on a plate and moving everything to the kitchen table. Then she went out into the living room to find Elliot and Maureen in the same position as she'd left them.

"Come on," she quietly coaxed. "You both need to eat."

*****

None of them ate much for dinner, but Olivia was pleased to see that both father and daughter at least had something in their stomachs. She smiled at them, telling them both to go out in the living room while she cleaned up.

"'Liv, you've already done enough," Elliot protested.

"It's okay," she assured him, running a hand up his arm. "Go and be with your daughter."

He nodded, managing a half-smile, before he ushered his daughter out of the kitchen. Olivia stared after them for a few moments, before shaking her head and clearing the table. She wondered again if she was doing the right thing. Could she really be the person they both needed her to be?

The phone broke her from her thoughts and she sighed, picking it up. "Hello?"

There was a pause. "Hi, Olivia?"

Olivia frowned, sure she recognized the voice. Then it clicked. "Hi, Kathy."

The other woman's voice was scratchy and thick and Olivia guessed she'd been crying a lot. "I just... I wanted to know how my daughter was."

"She's as well as can be expected," Olivia assured.

"Good. I... Do you think she'd talk to me?"

The hope in Kathy's voice made Olivia's heart contract in sympathy but she knew she had to do what was best for Maureen. "I don't know if that'd be a good idea tonight. She's upset and I'd hate for her to say something she'd regret."

A small sob sounded through the phone. "She must hate me."

"It'll be okay," Olivia soothed, hoping she was right. "I'll get her to call you, okay?"

"Can you tell her that I love her and... that I want her to come home?"

"I'll tell her."

"Thank you, Olivia. I... thank you."

Olivia got the feeling that it had taken a lot for Kathy to say that. "You're welcome."

Hanging up, Olivia finished cleaning up and then headed into the living room. Both Elliot and Maureen were back in their prior position, cuddled up on the couch.

"Who was on the phone?" Elliot asked.

Olivia sighed and looked at Maureen. "That was your mother," she stated. "She asked me to tell you that she loves you and she wants you to go home."

�I don�t ever want to go back there!� Maureen cried. �I want to stay with you guys.�

�You can stay here as long as you want to,� Olivia replied, assuring both Maureen and Elliot.

Elliot gave his partner a grateful look, before turning back to his daughter. "Why don't we get you into bed, hey?"

�I don�t think I can sleep.� she admitted.

�Try taking the sleeping pill they gave you at the hospital. That should help,� Olivia suggested.

�Can I sleep in your bed?� she asked, shyly. She felt bad asking for so much from the woman she had been cursing the day before.

Olivia smiled. �Sure you can. Come on, I�ll find you something to sleep in.�

She led the way into her room and rummaged around in one of the drawers for a pair of pajamas. "These okay?" she asked.

"Yeah," Maureen replied. She grabbed the clothes and went into the bathroom to change. When she returned, Olivia was remaking her bed.

"You're gonna stay in here too, aren't you?" the teenager asked, terrified of being alone.

Olivia paused, unsure. She really was out of her depth here, but she guessed if she took her lead from Maureen, she really couldn't get it wrong. "If that's what you want."

Maureen nodded and got into bed. She got comfortable before looking up at Olivia. "I wish I hadn't been such a bitch last night," she admitted. "If I hadn't, I would have been here instead of..." She broke of with a sob.

"Hey," Olivia soothed, sitting on the edge of the bed. "It does no good to start thinking like that."

Maureen nodded and swallowed her tears. �Dad thinks it�s his fault, doesn�t he?�

�Your Dad loves you very much. He just wishes he could have stopped you from getting hurt.�

�It�s not his fault.� She yawned as the sleeping pill started working. �Will you look after him?�

Olivia smiled. �Yeah, I�ll look after him.�

Maureen nodded and drifted off to sleep.

Olivia sat with her for a few more minutes before tucking the covers around her and quietly leaving the room. She paused as she spotted Elliot, slumped on the sofa with his head in his hands. She walked over and sat beside him. �She�s going to be okay, Elliot,� she soothed, running a hand up his back. �She has a great support system.�

�I should have been there,� he whispered, his voice broken. �If I hadn�t left them...�

�Don�t do this to yourself. This isn�t your fault,� she insisted, running a hand through his hair in an attempt to calm him.

�I�m supposed to protect them! It�s my job, both as a detective and a father.�

�Elliot, you can�t protect them every minute of the day. All you can do is try your hardest and you know you have.� She saw the tears spill down his cheeks and pulled him to her, stroking his hair and whispering soothing words. She hated to see him hurting and would do all she could to ease his pain for a little while. Feeling him shudder against her, she held him closer, allowing her own tears to fall as she held him tightly.

*****

Maureen woke up feeling sick. She rolled over to tell Olivia, only to find the other side of the bed empty. Her curiosity overrode her nausea and she got to her feet, padding out into the living room. The light was still on and it only took a second to spot them. Both of them were asleep, Olivia cuddled into Elliot�s chest, while his arms were wrapped protectively around her.

Deciding that she wouldn�t disturb them, Maureen walked quietly into the kitchen to get a glass of water. When she walked back out she noticed that Olivia had woken up. �I didn�t mean to wake you,� she whispered, seeing her father was still asleep.

�It�s okay, Maureen. Are you all right?�

�I feel sick,� she admitted.

Olivia nodded. �That�s pretty normal with the medication they gave you.� She gently extracted herself from Elliot�s arms but he woke when he felt her move.

�What�s wrong?� he asked, opening bleary eyes.

�Maureen feels sick,� Olivia explained, getting to her feet.

Maureen noticed that neither her father nor Olivia seemed uncomfortable with the position they were in and it made her wonder how often they�d fallen asleep in each other�s arms. She realized now that she hadn�t given Olivia a chance and she felt bad, especially considering all the woman had done for her. She knew now that this was someone that she could get close to.

"I didn't mean to wake you both."

"It's okay, sweetheart," Elliot assured her. "We should be in bed anyway."

"Come on," Olivia told the teenager. "Let's get you back in bed."

"Goodnight," Elliot said to them both, heading to his own room.

"'Night," they replied in unison.

*****

Elliot awoke with a start. At first he thought maybe he'd had a nightmare, though he couldn't remember it. Then he heard a noise; a muffled scream, followed by murmuring. He sprang out of bed and hurried into Olivia's room. Olivia was sitting up in bed, Maureen in her arms as she tried to calm the teenager.

"A nightmare," Olivia told him, as he moved to sit beside his daughter.

"Hey, sweetheart," he murmured, as Maureen launched herself into his arms. "It's okay. He's not going to hurt you again."

"It was so real," she sobbed. "I thought I was back there."

"You're not. You're here with me and you're safe."

He looked over his daughter's head to Olivia, who was sitting there looking unsure. "Can you get her a glass of water?" he asked.

She nodded and scrambled out of bed, leaving him to soothe his daughter. By the time she returned, he'd managed to get Maureen calm enough to have a drink. Then he laid her back down. "You need to get some more sleep," he told her.

She shook her head, looking terrified. "I want you to stay with me."

"Come on then," he said, making a move to get up. "Come and get into my bed."

Again Maureen shook her head, reaching for his hand. "Stay here with me. Please, Daddy? I need you both to protect me."

"It's okay, Maureen" Olivia assured her. "We're both right here." She slipped back into bed, giving Elliot a look that clearly stated he do the same. It was a tight squeeze in the bed, but they were soon all settled under the covers.

"Go to sleep, Maureen," he murmured, holding her close. He looked over his daughter to the woman lying by her side. "You too, 'Liv," he added.

"You get some sleep as well," she returned, before closing her eyes.

Elliot laid there and watched them both drift into sleep. It hadn�t been the first time that he�d woken with Olivia in his arms. With the hours they kept, falling asleep in front of the TV was a regular occurrence and they always gravitated together in slumber. He hated to admit how much he enjoyed those illicit moments, but he loved having her in his arms. Now, as he watched her fall asleep, he admitted that he was falling for her.

He wouldn't act on it, he knew that for a fact. If she pursued him - not that he thought she'd ever consider it - he knew he would respond, but he wouldn't ruin their friendship by taking such a chance. That was one thing he wouldn't be able to handle.

His thoughts turned to his daughter and his eyes traveled to her, watching her sleep and hoping her dreams were peaceful this time. 'God, let her be all right,' he silently prayed, before allowing his eyes to close.

*******
Epilogue
*******

Elliot looked up from the file he was reading as the front door opened. He smiled as both his daughter and partner walked into the apartment. They'd gotten close over the past month and Elliot didn't want to analyze why that thrilled him so much, afraid of what he could find.

"How was your session?" he asked his daughter.

She shrugged, hanging her coat up in the closet. "Okay, I guess. Olivia and I went shopping after and you should see the dress she bought. It's beautiful."

Olivia blushed slightly. "I only bought it because you made me," she replied.

"Well you looked so great in it, it'd be a crime not to buy it," Maureen insisted.

Olivia laughed. "Well, I'm just going to get changed and then I'll start on dinner." She grinned at them both and then headed for her room.

Maureen walked over to her father, sitting beside him on the sofa. He threw the file on the coffee table and sat back beside her. "I'm glad you had a good afternoon," he told her.

She grinned. "Olivia and I had fun."

He smiled back at her. "It's good to see you smile again."

She looked down at her hands, the smile sliding from her face. "It's hard sometimes," she admitted. "I catch myself being happy and feel disgusted with myself, but my doctor said that's normal. He also said that being happy means that he didn't win."

"Your doctor sounds like a smart man."

She shrugged, but said nothing.

They were both silent for a few minutes before Maureen spoke up again. �Why aren't you and Olivia together, Dad?� she asked.

He looked at her, surprised. �Where�d that come from?�

�I was just thinking. She�s nice and she makes you smile. You do like her, don�t you?�

�Olivia and I work together, sweetheart. It�d make things awkward if we started dating.�

�But you already live together. I want you to be happy, Dad, and I can see that she makes you happy.� She looked at him. �Are you scared of falling in love again?� When he just stared at her, she continued, �I heard Mom talking to one of her friends. She said that the thought of dating and falling in love again was terrifying.�

�You�re mom and I were together for a long time and it hurt that we couldn�t make things work. I guess it is scary to think of finding someone special and maybe messing it up again.�

�But wouldn�t it be easier if it were Olivia? I mean you already know her so you wouldn�t have to worry about awkward first dates and not getting on. Plus you live together so she already knows all your bad habits.�

Elliot laughed at that. �I don�t have any bad habits,� he groused.

Maureen smiled. �But seriously, Dad. Why don�t you give it a try?�

He sighed, wrapping an arm around her. �For one thing, I have no idea how Olivia feels about this. It�s okay for us to sit here and decide she�d be good for me, but what if she only sees me as a friend?�

�What�s the other reason?� Maureen asked.

�The other reason is that Olivia is my best friend. I don�t want to lose that.� He chuckled slightly, unable to believe he was having this conversation with his sixteen year old daughter. �This isn�t something you need to concern yourself with,� he assured her. �Dad�s gonna be just fine, okay?�

As they hugged, neither of them noticed Olivia walk back into her bedroom, having heard their conversation.

*****

Elliot got worried when Olivia hadn�t come out of her bedroom an hour later. Maureen was dozing on the sofa, so he left her there and went over to the door to Olivia's room. He knocked, waiting for permission before he let himself in. �You okay?� he asked, when he saw her lying on the bed.

�Yeah,� she replied, not getting up. �Just thinking.�

He wandered over and sat down on the edge of the bed. �About what?�

�I heard what you and Maureen were talking about,� she admitted. She sighed when he didn�t say anything, moving over and patting the bed for him to join her.

Elliot laid down beside her, turning onto his side so he could look at her. �And?� he prompted, not sure what she was thinking.

�And I guess you�re right. Things would be difficult since we work together.�

His heart started beating faster. �You don�t sound real happy about that.�

She propped herself up on her elbow and looked at him for a moment. �Can you imagine bringing anyone else home with me living here? Can you imagine me bringing someone home?�

Elliot looked down at the covers on the bed. �Do you want me to move out?� he asked quietly.

�No!� Olivia replied, a little too quickly. �That�s even more unimaginable,� she added. �I don�t think I could go back to living by myself now.�

�That only leaves two options. Neither of us dates or...� He trailed off, not sure he could put it into words.

She smiled a little at that. �How do you feel about or?� she asked.

He just stared at her for a moment, wondering if he was dreaming. �I think I like or,� he finally replied. �How about you?�

Olivia reached out and grasped his hand, entwining her fingers with his. �Definitely or,� she agreed. She looked at him for a moment. �Are you sure about this?�

He grinned at that. �I should be asking you that. I mean, I�m a separated father of four.�

�And I�ve been single for so long it's not funny,� Olivia returned. She untangled her fingers and reached out to caress his cheek. �But I�m sure.�

�Me too,� he replied, reaching over and pulling her to him.

Their lips met in a gentle kiss, not passionate but full of promise just the same. Neither of them was in a hurry to take things further but both were focused solely on the other. As such, neither heard the door open.

�Does this mean I get my own room?� Maureen asked from the door, scaring the couple.

They both jumped apart, looking at Maureen. Seeing her grin, they turned to each other and started laughing. Elliot reached out a hand to Maureen, pulling her down beside him so that Olivia was resting her head on one shoulder and Maureen on the other.

'These are my girls,' he thought, giving them both a squeeze. He was under no illusions that things would be easy. Maureen still had a long way to go on her road to recovery and he had no doubt that he and Olivia would have their share of bumps on the road to happiness. But there was hope. Hope that his daughter would one day feel safe. Hope that he and Olivia could make this relationship work. Hope that they'd all be happy.

The End.

Feedback?