Choices

Author�s notes: This is my version of the episode �Hunted.� In this fic Nick is still here and Ben is not. This is my fist attempt at fanfic.

 

It was early in the morning and PJ and Maggie were still asleep when the alarm went off. �It�s too early!� PJ whined, burying his face in the pillow.

�Mmm, morning grumpy,� his blonde companion replied. She rolled over and kissed him gently. �Well, I suppose I�d bet home before Dash wakes up.�

She got out of bed and dressed quickly. �Oy!� she called, seeing PJ still lying under the doona. �Don�t you go back to sleep or you�ll be late.�

�Yep,� he replied. As soon as Maggie left, he rolled over and closed his eyes.

At eight o�clock PJ was running late for work. He hurried out the door with a slice of toast in one hand and his keys in the other. As he turned to shut the door, he was hit over the head with the butt of a rifle and he fell to the ground, unconscious.

*****

About an hour later at the station, Adam and Dash were sitting at their desks, Nick was standing at the front counter, while Maggie was making coffee in the kitchen. Tom walked out of his office. �Has anyone seen our Detective this morning?� he inquired.

Maggie was suddenly *very* interested in the milk.

�No, Boss,� Nick replied. �I haven�t seen him since last night, but he was making dinner reservations so maybe he had a hot date.�

�Must have been a real hot date!� Adam chipped in, grinning.

Dash looked at Maggie to see her reaction, but her back was turned. That was probably just as well because Maggie�s face was quite red.

�Well, when he makes an appearance,� Tom continued. �Tell him I want to see him in my office. I�ve had Falcon-Price on my back about those armed robberies.� He turned on his heel and returned to his office.

Nick got his hat off his desk. �Well come on, Deidre, we�ve got work to do.�

�Yeah, yeah,� she replied, as she picked up her own hat.

�Hey, Nick? Do you wanna go and check out where PJ is? It�s not like him to be this late,� Maggie asked. She wasn�t terribly concerned. After all, he was only an hour late and they hadn�t exactly slept much last night, but she didn�t want him to get in trouble.

�Well I don�t know, Margaret,� he drawled. �I�d hate to walk in on something!� He grinned at her.

�Please?� she asked sweetly.

He sighed dramatically. �All right. I�ll go and wake sleeping beauty for you.�

�Thank you.�

�But you know his hot date might not appreciate it.� He grinned wickedly at her, but the withering look she shot him made him leave quickly.

*****

A short time later, Dash and Nick arrived at PJ�s house. �The CI car�s not here,� Dash observed.

�Yeah, I guess he�s go... Hang on, the front door�s open.�

Nick pulled the patrol car into the driveway and they both got out. While walking up the path, Dash kicked something. �Hey, Nick, look.� She pointed to the toast.

�Keep your eyes peeled,� he told her.

They reached the step and Dash once again found something. �There�s blood here.�

They knelt down for a closer look and saw a small pool of blood on the corner of the step. �Go and radio the station, Dash,� Nick ordered, concern in his voice. �What the hell is going on?� he thought to himself. He pulled out his gun and proceeded into the house.

�Mount Thomas two-oh-one to Mount Thomas station?� Dash called from the car radio.

�Mount Thomas station. Yes, Dash?� Tom�s voice boomed back.

�Ah, Boss, we�ve just arrived at PJ�s house. The CI car�s not here and the front door was wide open. Plus there�s blood on the front step.�

�Any sign of PJ?�

�Not outside. Nick�s gone in to have a look.�

Nick returned at that moment and shook his head. �Nothing in there.�

�Nothing inside either, Boss,� Dash relayed.

�All right, you two do a door knock and I�ll try the radio,� Tom ordered them.

�Right, Boss. Mount Thomas two-oh-one back on channel.�

Back at the station, Tom was trying to raise PJ on the CI car�s radio. �Mount Thomas five-oh-nine, this is Mount Thomas station.� No reply. �Mount Thomas station to Mount Thomas five-oh-nine.� Again, there was no reply. He wasn�t sure what else he could do to try and raise his detective. He didn�t dare ask for PJ directly. If someone had him, then they might panic if they thought the police were on to them. Better to keep things discreet for now.

Maggie walked out of PJ's office, oblivious to what was going on. �Boss, have you seen the MacKenzie brief?� she asked.

�Ah, Maggie. Something�s happened,� he told her gently, knowing that she was good friends with PJ.

Maggie looked up from the files she�d been searching through and saw the concern on Tom�s face. �What is it, Boss?� she asked, her voice quivering slightly.

�PJ�s missing. Nick and Dash found blood outside his house, but there�s no sign of him.�

Maggie�s eyes went wide. �Missing! But... I...�

They were interrupted by Pat Doyle, who had just walked into the station. �Maggie, I�m glad you�re here. I need to speak with you.�

�Dad! What... I mean, why...� She broke off, looking distraught.

�Sorry, Pat, but we have a serious situation here,� Tom spoke up. The last thing he needed were family interruptions when one of his members was missing.

�So do I, Tom. Robbie escaped from prison last night and I think he may be headed this way.�

�What?!� Maggie almost yelled.

�I thought I�d better get up here quick,� added. �Before he stuffs up my daughter�s life completely,� he thought to himself. �So, what�s the big emergency here?�

�PJ�s gone missing and is possibly injured,� Tom replied.

Neither Tom nor Pat noticed Maggie quickly blink back the tears that formed.

*****

In a deserted shack in the bush, PJ was lying on the ground, wearing handcuffs. He was slowly coming around, having still been unconscious.

�Well, hello there, PJ,� a familiar voice greeted.

PJ had to blink several times before his eyes began to focus and his eyes settled on Robby Doyle. �R... Robbie? What the...� He lifted his head and winced in pain.

�Sorry �bout the bump to the head, but I couldn�t have you alerting anyone, could I?�

�What do you want?� PJ�s voice was full of anger. Robbie kicked him in the ribs and PJ doubled over in pain.

�Number one, you be quiet. Number two... I want you to pay for turning my sister against me!�

The words were spoken with such contempt that PJ gasped in surprise. �But I...�

�Don�t bother denying it. Maggie never would have turned me in if she wasn�t head over heels for you. You made her hate me and you�ll pay for that!� He held a gun to PJ�s head and laughed, before hitting him on the side of the head.

PJ fell to the floor, unconscious once more.

*****

Nick and Dash walked into the station some time later, both quiet for once.

�How�d the door knock go?� Tom asked, while walking out of his office.

�Well,� Dash began. �Mrs Lowe said that she heard the CI car go at about eight o�clock. She said that the tyres screeched and it roared off, but she just assumed that PJ had been called out. So at least we know when he was attacked.�

�We don�t even know that he was attacked, McKinley,� Tom reminded her. �For all we know, he could have gone off somewhere.�

�He wouldn�t have left his front door open and what about the toast?� Dash couldn�t believe he didn�t agree with her. �It�s so obvious!� she thought to herself.

�What toast?� Tom asked.

It was Nick�s turn to speak up. Ah, we found a half eaten piece of toast on the front path.�

�That could have been anyone's!� Tom reasoned. Did his officers always jump to conclusions?

�How many people do you know who put tomato sauce on their toast? Plus it couldn�t have been there long or an animal would have found it!� Dash insisted, getting wound up.

�All right, I get your point. So that would mean he was home earlier this morning.�

�You know, Boss, I think it might be a good idea to find out who PJ was seeing last night,� Nick suggested. Although he had an idea on who the mystery woman was, he wanted to be sure before he said anything, especially with the way Dash liked to gossip.

�Yeah, your probably right,� the Boss agreed. �Dash, you ring Cooper and get him in here. Then you two can try and find out who this mystery woman is.�

�Hey, Boss? Where�s Maggie?� Dash asked, noticing her friend�s absence.

�She took her father back to her place. Before I forget, Robbie Doyle escaped from prison last night, so keep an eye out.�

�Well this day keeps getting better and better,� Dash muttered, as she dialled Adam�s number. �Hello, Adam?�

*****

Maggie opened her front door and, as she walked in, noticed something that made her stop dead. �Oh my God!� she gasped. Her house was trashed. There was not a single item left untouched.

Pat walked in behind her. �What a mess! Don�t touch anything and I�ll go and call the station.�

Maggie could only nod in reply as she stood and stared at the chaos before her. She noted that the TV and VCR were gone, as well as her stereo system.

A few minutes later, her Dad walked back into the room. He looked at his daughter�s face and noticed the tears in her eyes. �Are you okay, honey?�

She turned and looked at him. �No, I�m not. What�s going on, Dad? Where�s PJ and who did this?�

Pat gave his daughter a hug. �I don�t know, Maggie.�

About five minutes later, Tom and Dash walked into the house. Dash stared at the mess. �Holy sh...� Tom gave her a look. �... Ah, cow,� she quickly finished.

�Well recovered, Dash,� Tom thought to himself, before turning his attention to Maggie. �Are you all right?�

�Yeah, Boss. It�s just a bit of a shock. Any news on PJ?�

�Not yet,� he told her, his face sympathetic. �Anything taken?�

�Looks like just about everything of value. Whoever did this really tore the place apart looking.�

�Lucky we�re insured!� Dash concluded.

Tom had been looking around and came to the back door. �Did you open this, Maggie?�

Maggie shook her head. �No. I guess they forced the lock.�

�Ore used a key.� He pointed to the key that was still in the lock. �Did you have a spare outside?�

�Yeah,� Dash answered. �It was under a brick, around the side. You�d really have to search to find it.�

�Or know where it was,� Pat pointed out. �Who knew it was there?�

Maggie thought for a moment. �Just us. Oh and...� She turned white.

Dash rushed over to her friend. �Maggs? Are you all right?�

�Yeah. I just figured out who did this. It was Robbie.�

*****

Back at Robbie's hideout, Robbie had just discarded a needle after having a hit. PJ looked on, disgusted. �Where�d you get the money for that? Rob a bank?�

�Two actually, but that is money for later. My sister helped out with this. You'd be surprised how much her and her flat mate had accumulated. The guys down at the park were most appreciative. I didn't try to pawn this off though.� He pulled out the locket that PJ gave Maggie for Christmas. �I thought about it but you got it engraved so it would be easy to trace. Plus Maggie will need something to remember you by.� He laughed at this thought.

PJ shifted on the ground and tried to get at least a little comfortable. He thought it was time to find out just what Robbie was up to. �So, what�s your plan, Robbie? I mean, if you just wanted to kill me you would have done it by now, so what's the deal?� He wasn�t sure if he really wanted to know, but if he wanted to get out of there he had to know what was going on.

�You know, you�re right, Detective. I considered just killing you, but I really want my sister to admit that you turned her against me and show that she�d choose me over you.�

�What?!� PJ spat. �You obviously don�t love your sister, do you? I mean, how could you make her choose?�

�Do you really think that she loves you, PJ? Dream on. You might be able to stop her feeling lonely, but don�t you think if she really loved you she�d sacrifice her job for you to be together? Wake up, PJ, you can't tell me it was your idea to go sneaking around.�

�What makes you think we�re sneaking around?� PJ asked. �How could Robbie know so much� he thought to himself.

Robbie laughed. �You forget that I was a cop. I saw Maggie sneaking home this morning. She really didn�t want Dash to know she�d been out all night.�

�Why don�t you just clear out of here and leave her alone. You�ve hurt her enough. Do you really think she�s going to thank you for doing this?�

�That�s something you won�t have to worry about, is it? Now I think this conversation is over.� He gagged PJ and threw him back on the ground, before walking out the door.

*****

Back at the station, Pat and Tom were in Tom�s office. Pat had just finished giving his statement. �That should be just about it, Pat. Thanks for your help,� Tom said.

�No worries, Tom, but one question. Has something been going on between my daughter and PJ?�

Tom looked up in surprise. �What makes you ask that?�

�Maggie seems particularly upset about his disappearance,� Pat qualified.

�Well, they�re very close. I mean, they�re best friends and partners, but I�m sure that�s it. You couldn�t hide something like that from a bunch of nosy coppers could you?�

�No, I guess not.� Both men got up and headed out into the main office where Maggie, Nick and Adam were deep in conversation.

�Come on, Maggie,� Adam encouraged. �There has to be some case you two were working on.�

�Adam, anyone that PJ ever pissed off could have done it!� she replied.

�That�s one hell of a long list then!� Nick chipped in.

Just then, Dash walked into the station with the lunches. �Well, I've got good news and bad news,� she chirped.

�What�s the bad news?� Nick asked.

�Always the pessimist, Nicholas! The bad news is that Chris hasn�t heard anything about PJ or Robbie.�

�And the good news?� Adam questioned.

�Chris said that Benny Mathews was down at the pub, talking about a guy who had heaps of cool stuff to swap down at the park.�

�Ah, Benny Mathews.� Maggie got up. �Well let�s go and pay Benny a visit, shall we?�

�I don�t think you should go, Doyle. You�re too close to this.� Tom didn�t need any trouble at the moment and he knew that Maggie was upset. �Although she�d never show it,� he mused.

�What am I going to do? Shoot him over a TV or something?� Her voice was thick with sarcasm to hide her hurt that the boss didn�t think she could do her job.

�Besides,� she thought to herself. �If I don�t get out and do something, I�m going to go crazy with worry for PJ. Where the hell is he?� She snapped out of it as she heard Nick speak.

�I�ll go with Maggie, Boss. I can keep her in line then. Mathews will be more likely to speak with her then anyone else.�

�Very well, Shultz,� Tom conceded. �You two go then. Cooper and McKinley, you two can try and find out who PJ was seeing last night.�

Maggie looked up quickly. �Isn�t that intruding in his private life?�

�No, Doyle, it isn�t. It�s finding out who was the last person to see him. You�re PJ�s friend, did he mention to you who he was seeing?�

�Not that I remember,� she replied, avoiding his gaze. �Come on, Nick. Let�s go.� She quickly walked out the door, before anyone could see her scarlet face.

*****

Once Nick and Maggie arrived at Benny Mathews house, they left the four-wheel drive and walked up to the door. Nick knocked loudly. There was no answer, so he knocked again. Maggie was fiddling with her hat, becoming increasingly impatient. Finally, Mathews arrived at the door. �G�day, Constable Doyle, Sergeant Shultz. What can I do for you?�

�Hi, Benny,� Maggie greeted, trying to sound casual. �We were wondering if you saw anyone selling hot property down at the park this morning?�

�Nah. I wasn�t down there,� he replied, looking rather nervous.

�Come on, Benny! You were heard talking down at the Imperial about some guy swapping some cool stuff.� It was getting increasingly hard for Maggie to keep her cool.

�All right, I did see him. He kinda looked like your brother.� He nodded to Maggie. �But he had a goatee and his hair was different.�

�Did you happen to swap any of the items, Mr. Mathews?� Nick knew the answer before he asked it. Benny was just too nervous.

�Ahh...�

Maggie interrupted before he could go any further. �Come on, Benny. Where are they?�

�Okay, but I didn�t know they were stolen.� He led them into the house.

*****

Ten minutes later Maggie, Nick and Benny walked into the station. Nick was carrying a VCR. He put it down on the front counter. �Dash, your stereo is in the back of the four-wheel drive. Can you get it and catalogue them both while we interview Mr. Mathews?�

�Right this way, Mr. Mathews.� Maggie led Benny to the interview room just as Tom walked out of PJ�s office. �So, Mr. Mathews had some of the stolen property did he?� He looked rather sheepish.

�Yeah,� Maggie replied. �What were you doing in PJ�s office?�

�Oh... Ah... Just looking for...�

�You were going through his things!� she said, incredulous.

�Maggie, I�m just trying to find some answers. Now, you two better go and interview Mr. Mathews.�

In the interview room, Benny was sitting opposite Maggie and Nick. �I never would have taken that stuff if I�d known it was yours. Honest.�

�What did this guy look like, Mr. Mathews?� Nick asked.

�I already told you.�

�For the tape, Benny,� Maggie explained.

�He looked like Constable Doyle�s brother, except he had a goatee and his head was shaved.�

�And was he driving a car?� Nick prompted.

�Well, he couldn't have carried the stuff could he?�

�Don�t be smart, Benny,� Maggie replied, sternly. �What did this car look like?�

�Well it was identical to the one that Detective Hasham drives around in. Same colour and it even had one of those CB things.�

�What?!� Maggie�s voice rose, but she quickly tried to compose herself.

Nick too became more anxious. �What time was this at?�

�About nine o�clock this morning.�

Maggie got up. �Interview suspended at two eighteen PM, for Senior Constable Doyle to make further inquiries.� She turned the tape off and left the room quickly, running straight past Dash and Adam into PJ�s office, where she shut the door.

Tom hurried out of his office, just as Nick came out of the interview room. �What was that all about?� Tom asked, looking at Nick for answers.

�Well it looks as though Robbie Doyle may be involved in PJ�s disappearance.�

�What?� Dash asked him, disbelieving.

�Yeah,� Nick confirmed. �Benny said that Robbie had a car identical to the CI car at nine this morning.�

�Boss, do you still want me to chase up who PJ was seeing?� Adam asked. �The guy at that new Italian restaurant confirmed there was a reservation for Hasham, but wouldn�t give me any more details over the phone.�

�That doesn�t matter now. You get on to St. Davids and let them know our situation. You better get hold of Pol-Air as well. We�ll need them to do an aerial search. McKinley, go and see if Maggie�s all right and tell her I need to see her when she�s ready. Shultz, you better process Mr. Mathews and get him out of here.�

He turned around to walk into his office when he heard Adam speak under his breath. �What�s he going to do?�

�I, Cooper, am going to ring Pat Doyle and get him in here and then ring the S.O.G�s and put them on standby. Is that all right with you?�

�Yes, Boss,� Adam replied sheepishly.

*****

In the CI office, Maggie was sitting in PJ�s chair with her back turned to the door. There was a knock and Dash entered. �Maggie? Are you all right?�

Maggie turned toward Dash. Her face was tear stained and she had a photo in her hand. �Not really Dash. I�m so scared,� she admitted. The tears started flowing again and Dash rushed over to her and gave her a hug.

�Everything will be all right,� she said softly, still embracing her friend.

�How do you know that?� Maggie sobbed. She didn�t know whether to be terrified or relieved that it was Robbie that had PJ.

�I don�t, Maggie, but you have to believe that. Remember that saying �no news is good news?� Until you know for sure you never give up hope.�

She released her friend and looked at the photo in Maggie�s hand. It was of PJ, Maggie and baby Rachel. �You care a lot about him, don�t you?�

Maggie looked at the photo. �Yes, I do.� She looked up quickly. �He�s my best friend, Dash. You understand that, don�t you?�

�Yeah, I understand that.�

�I feel so responsible. Why would Robbie do this?�

�It�s not your fault, Maggs. Who knows why it happened but one thing�s for sure, you didn�t cause it. Now, why don�t you go and wash your face and then the Boss wants to see you okay?�

Maggie nodded. �Thanks, Dash.�

*****

Robbie was packing up his things at the hideout. He grabbed PJ roughly and dragged him to his feet. He was no longer gagged, but the handcuffs were still firmly in place. PJ wobbled unsteadily on his feet. His head was aching and it hurt to breath. Robbie pushed him out the door. �Come on, PJ. It�s time to go and see my sister.�

PJ resisted, but soon had no choice as Robbie pointed the gun at his head. Outside, Robbie threw PJ in the back of the car before getting in the drivers seat and roaring off, nearly losing control in the gravel.

*****

Maggie knocked on the door of Tom�s office, before letting herself in. �You wanted to see me, Boss?�

�Yes, Maggie. Come in and sit down.� She sat down in a chair opposite him. �Are you okay?� He could tell from her face that she was anything but okay.

�I�ll be fine, Boss.�

�I know this must be hard for you, but I just wanted to ask if you know of any places that your brother might go.�

�Not any specific places. If he�s still around here then my bet would be he�s in the National Park. Otherwise the CI car would have been spotted.�

�Yeah, that�s what we thought too. We�ve got Pol-Air doing a sweep now. St. Davids are on their way and S.O.G have been notified.� He looked at her with concern. �I think you should go home.�

�What?! No way! I can�t go home!� she almost screamed.

�You�re too involved in this, Doyle. Now go home, that�s an order.�

Maggie got up and stormed out of the office, almost running into Falcon-Price, who had just entered the station. She didn�t apologise, but ran past and out the door.

Falcon-Price walked into Tom�s office. �She looked upset,� he commented.

�Well that�s to be expected under the circumstances,� Tom replied.

�Does she have any idea why her brother may have abducted Senior Detective Hasham?�

Tom shook his head. �No, I don't think so.�

�You don�t think so? You mean you didn�t ask?�

�I didn�t want to upset her more,� Tom explained. �Not everyone�s as heartless as you,� he thought to himself.

At that moment Pat entered Tom's office. �Ah, Pat. This is Inspector Falcon-Price. Inspector, this is Sergeant Pat Doyle.� Both men shook hands.

�Now, Sergeant, do you have any idea why your son would want to harm Senior Detective Hasham?�

�Well, they�ve never liked each other and I got the impression when I spoke to Robbie in prison, that he blamed PJ for his conviction.�

Falcon-Price looked at him curiously. �But wasn�t it Senior Constable Doyle who arrested him?�

�Yes, it was,� Tom informed him.

�Well why would he blame Hasham? Wouldn't his grudge be with his sister?�

�You see, sir,� Pat began. �Maggie and Robbie were very close and I don't think he could believe that Maggie would turn him in,� he explained. �Thank God,� he thought to himself. Although he liked PJ, he was glad that it was him and not his daughter being held hostage.

*****

Maggie drove into the driveway of her house and got out of the car. She slammed the door shut and was heading for the front door, when she heard a car pull up. She turned to see the CI car. Robbie was out and pulling PJ from the back seat. Maggie gasped as she saw the state that her lover was in. PJ looked a mess, with a black eye, split lip and blood on his cheek and forehead. �At least he�s still alive,� she though to herself. �Oh God, Robbie! What have you done?� She started to rush toward PJ but stopped as Robbie pulled out a gun and held it to PJ's head.

�Don�t come any closer, sis. Now why don�t we go inside and have a little chat?�

�No,� PJ croaked. �Let�s stay out here.� He looked into Maggie�s eyes and his heart broke when he saw the pain in them.

�I thought you�d have learnt by now,� Robbie growled and punched PJ in the ribs.

�No, Robbie, don't!� Maggie screamed. �Why are you doing this?� She was still crying, tears staining her cheeks.

�I thought that it was about time he paid for turning me in.�

�What?� Maggie asked, disbelieving. �You know that was me, Robbie!�

�No, it wasn�t. You were quite happy to turn a blind eye before he stuck his nose in. See Maggie he�s screwed with your head. He�s turned you against me.�

Robbie pushed PJ to his knees. Maggie started to rush towards him again, but Robbie put the gun back to PJ�s head, stopping her in her tracks. �He did no such thing!� she screamed. �You�re talking crazy. Now why don�t you leave now and I promise we won�t come after you.�

�I�m not going anywhere! I can�t believe you won�t see it. You�re as bad as him thinking that you actually love him. I tried to tell him it wasn�t true. Now, how about I make it easier for you, sis? You can have a choice. All you have to do is choose between him and me. Whoever you choose will live and the other will die. Easy.�

�Easy? You know I can�t make that choice! I hate you for doing this!�

�Just clear out, Robbie. You�ve had your fun,� PJ told him, trying once more to get him to go away. He had a feeling that, if this wasn�t resolved soon, someone was going to get shot. Robbie was getting too edgy.

Robbie hit PJ over the back of the head with the gun and he fell to the ground, once again unconscious. �God, he�s got no brains! He just can�t help himself. All day he�s been going on. Now come on, Maggie, you have to make your choice. Your lover...� He pointed the gun at PJ. �Or your brother?� He pointed the gun at his own head.

�Stop this, Robbie! You need help. Now put the gun down and we�ll get you some help.�

�Just make a decision!� he yelled.

Both Maggie and Robbie were oblivious to the Heelers, who had arrived and were taking up their positions. Pat walked forward. �Put the gun down, Robbie,� he spoke calmly. Maggie noted that all of her colleagues were there, with vests on and guns drawn.

�Just stay out of this, Dad,� Robbie replied, without looking at his father. The gun was still pointed at PJ and his eyes were locked on his sister.

�Now come on, son. You're surrounded by fully armed police. Don�t be stupid.�

�I said shut up! All of you stay back or PJ is dead! Now, Maggie, hurry up and make your choice or we�ll both die.�

�I can't, Robbie! Just stop it!� Her tears returned once more, cascading down her face.

�I can�t believe this! You're my sister! Are you telling me you can�t choose between me and him?� He looked at her in disbelief. �Oh well, it looks like its both of us.� He pointed the gun at PJ�s head.

�She might not be able to make a choice, but I can.� Maggie and Robbie turned around and looked at their father.

�Dad, don�t!� Maggie pleaded.

�No, come on, Dad. Who would you choose? Who do you want to die?�

�Not the guy that has done nothing but look after my daughter. Not her best friend and partner. He doesn�t deserve to die. But the guy who came here and attacked him? Who put his own sister through such misery? Well I don't know if he really deserves to live.�

Robbie just looked at his father for a few seconds, before shaking his head. �I should have known,� was all he said. He took the locket out of his pocket and threw it on PJ, who was still unconscious, then pointed the gun at his own head and pulled the trigger.

�Oh my God!� Maggie screamed, as everyone ran to where the two bodies lay.

Robbie was clearly dead. �You killed him!� Maggie cried. �You killed your own son!�

Pat looked at his daughter before speaking. �That wasn�t my son,� he said softly, before turning and walking away.

Nick knelt down beside PJ and carefully rolled him over before checking his pulse. �He�s alive. Cooper, get an ambulance,� he ordered. He saw the locket lying next to his friend and put it in his pocket before anyone noticed. He looked up at Dash who was trying to calm Maggie.

�Shh. It�s all right, Maggs.�

�PJ! PJ! Is he all right?� she cried. She was bordering on hysteria.

�He�s alive, Maggie. That�s a pretty good start,� Nick tried to comfort his colleague. He didn�t dare tell her that he would be fine. Just in case...

The ambulance arrived and Adam got a sheet off them to place over Robbie, while the ambulance officers started tending to PJ. �I want to go with him,� Maggie stated, as PJ was placed in the ambulance. She hopped in with him, despite the ambulance officer�s protests.

�Let her go, mate,� Tom coaxed. �She�s had a rough time.�

The officer relented and shut the doors with Maggie and PJ inside. The Heelers watched the ambulance drive off before Tom spoke, �Dash, why don�t you go down to the hospital and stay with Maggie?�

�Actually, Boss,� Nick interrupted. �I�ll do that. I want to be there when he wakes up,� he lied. Actually, he just didn�t want Dash to be there when PJ woke up. He had a feeling that his two friends would want some privacy.

�Whatever,� Tom replied. �Just get down there, so Maggie�s not alone.�

*****

Nick walked down the corridor of the hospital before seeing Maggie sitting on a chair, looking at the floor. He walked up and sat in the chair next to her. �How is he?� he asked quietly.

Maggie continued to look at the floor. �I don�t know. They�re with him now.�

�Are you all right?�

�I�m not sure yet. I don�t think everything�s sunk in. I�m just so worried about PJ. What if he dies, Nick?� She broke down and Nick put a protective arm around her.

�He won�t die.�

�You don�t know that,� she sobbed.

�Yes I do, Maggie. He loves you too much to leave you.� Maggie looked up at him quickly. He smiled at her. �It�s all right, your secret�s safe with me. I do think that you should put this on though before I lose it.� Nick pulled the locket out of his pocket and handed it to her.

�Thanks, Nick.� She put it on and looked at the words engraved on it.

 Dear Maggie, with all my love.

She took the hanky that Nick offered and dried her tears. Somehow having the locket on made Maggie feel more positive. �Hey. How did you know to come to my house?� she asked suddenly. The thought had just occurred to her.

�We had a call from your neighbour.�

Maggie laughed. �PJ�s always going on about our nosy neighbours.�

She looked down the hall and saw Zo� walking toward them. Maggie�s heart skipped a beat as she stood up. �How is he?� she asked. She had started shaking and wrapped her arms around herself, to try and hide it.

Zo� looked at her with sympathy. She knew how she�d feel if that were Nick in there. �He has several broken ribs, a fractured skull, lacerations to the head, plus some bruising. He should be fine, although I�m a little concerned that he�s still unconscious.�

�What does that mean?� Maggie�s voice trembled.

�Probably nothing. Why don�t you go in and talk to him? It might help.� She gave Maggie a reassuring smile.

As Maggie walked toward PJ�s room, Zo� turned to look at Nick. He too looked shaken, although Zo� knew him too well to question him about it. He would talk to her when he was ready.

�So, he�s going to be all right?� he questioned.

�I wasn�t lying to her. I think he�ll be fine. If he�s not conscious in a few hours, then I�ll run some tests, but I think if your hunch about the two of them is true then he�ll wake up with Maggie in there.�

�Trust me, it�s true.�

*****

Maggie stood at the door of PJ�s room and looked at her lover. He was hooked up to a heart monitor, which as rhythmically beeping. His skin was pale, except for the dark bruises which had formed on his face and chest and his head was bandaged. A nurse carried a chair over to the bed for Maggie to sit in.

�Thanks,� Maggie whispered, her eyes not leaving PJ. �Why is he hooked up to that?� She pointed to the heart monitor.

�That�s just a precaution. Now if you need anything, I�ll be at the nurse�s station.� The nurse smiled warmly at Maggie before leaving them alone.

Maggie sat in the chair and took PJ�s hand. His wrists were grazed from the handcuffs. She tenderly ran a finger over his palm, before softly kissing it. �Come on, PJ, you have to wake up. I need you. I can�t go through this on my own.� The tears were once again cascading down her cheeks. �I�m so sorry. I love you so much!� The grief overcame her and she buried her face in her hands. She didn�t see PJ�s eyes flicker and open.

He blinked several times, before he focused on the woman he loved. �Maggs. Don�t cry,� he whispered, hoarsely.

Maggie looked up in surprise. �PJ! Thank God! I thought I�d lost you.� Tears of relief now fell down her cheeks.

�Did you think you�d get rid of me that easy?� He chuckled, winced as his ribs protested. �Ouch! Did they tell you if my ribs are broken?�

�Yeah, they are and you�ve got a fractured skull and lacerations to the head. I�m so sorry PJ. I nearly got you killed!� She buried her head in PJ�s shoulder.

�Hey, Maggs, look at me.� Maggie lifted her head. �None of this is your fault, okay?�

�But he was my brother, PJ. Why did he have to do this?�

�Was your brother? Maggie, what happened after I was knocked out?�

Maggie retold the events of that afternoon, but this time the tears did not come when she got to her brother�s death. She realised that he had to die for PJ to live and she knew that she couldn�t live without this man.

�Oh, Maggs, I�m so sorry, but that wasn�t your brother. Not the guy that loved and protected you. He was sick, Maggs. You have to remember your brother and not the guy who did this.�

�I will never forgive him for doing this to us. I thought you were going to die thinking I didn�t love you.�

He reached out and tenderly stroked her cheek. �I knew, Maggie. All I had to do was look in your eyes and I knew.�

She gave him a tremulous smile. �Promise me you�ll never leave me?�

�You know I�d never leave you. I love you.�

�I love you too.� She leaned over and kissed him passionately.

Nick walked into the room to see his two friends still kissing. �Ahh, I�ll come back in a minute, shall I?�

Maggie looked up, grinning. �Look, Nick, he�s awake!� She sounded like an excited school girl.

�Yes. Well I was hoping that you weren�t making out with an unconscious person, Margaret. Welcome back to the land of the living, mate.� Nick had a broad grin on his face.

"Ah, Nick, about...� PJ began.

�It�s all right, Patrick. I already told your girlfriend here that your secret is safe with me.�

Maggie blushed. It was the first time she had been called PJ�s girlfriend. She liked it, she decided.

Nick continued. �Nobody else saw the locket which is now safely around the neck of its owner and you can carry on where you left off. I�ll let you know when the others arrive.� He turned and walked out of the room with the broad grin still firmly planted on his face.

Maggie and PJ just stared after him. PJ turned and looked at Maggie, who had a small grin on her face. �You heard the man, Margaret. Carry on where we left off. So come here and kiss me!�

Maggie�s grin broadened and she obeyed him. The two resumed kissing passionately and PJ didn�t even notice his split lip.

THE END

Feedback?