The Truth About Cats and Dogs

RATING: PG

SEASON/SEQUEL: Set some time after Pretense.

SPOILERS: Enigma, Pretense

SUMMARY: Sam and Jack are moving in together, but encounter a few problems along the way.

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognized characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

AUTHORS NOTES: Okay, this is weird. Plain and simple. I haven't seen 'Cats and Dogs' but the idea came to me when I saw an ad for it. A huge thanks to Jenn for beta'ing this!

FEEDBACK: Yes Please! I love to know what you think.

Copyright � Jez, October 2024.

~~o0o~~

Jack sat down on the sofa with a sigh, leaning his head back and closing his eyes. He couldn't believe they'd managed to get through another skirmish with renegade Jaffa and stay intact. He opened his eyes as he heard a muttered curse. Well more or less intact, he conceded as he watched his lover struggle with her crutches.

"Damn it, Sam, will you let me help you?" he asked.

"You can't carry me around for the next few days, Jack," she told him, finally making it to the sofa. She sat down beside him with a groan. "I can't believe I'm so bad at using these things."

Jack grinned, reaching out and running a hand up and down her thigh. "It's okay, Baby, even you can't be good at everything."

She sighed. "I just hate feeling like an invalid."

He smiled at her. "Just think, Sam, with SG-1 on downtime, I can wait on you hand and foot all week."

She grimaced. "Do you know how bad I am at doing nothing?"

He chuckled, leaning in so his lips were millimeters from hers. "Do you know how good I am at keeping you occupied?"

"Remind me," she breathed, just before their lips met.

Jack was seriously getting into the kiss, shifting closer so his hand could worm its way under her shirt. It was then that he jumped as he felt something dig into his thigh. Tearing his mouth away from his lover's, Jack looked down and saw a pair of green eyes looking smugly back at him, one paw resting on his thigh. "Schro," he groaned, pushing the cat off the sofa. "Now is not the time."

The ginger tom looked back at him for a moment, before jumping up and settling himself on Jack's lap. He rubbed against the hand that wasn't burrowed under Sam's shirt, making it clear he expected to be patted.

Sam chuckled, reaching out and scratching the cat behind his ears. "Did you miss us, Schr�dinger?"

The cat started purring, rubbing against Jack's hand once more as if to remind him that he was supposed to be patting him as well. Smiling, Jack did as he was told, running a hand along the cat's back. "You spoil this animal," he groused good-naturedly.

"He deserves it," Sam responded, cuddling into his side as she continued to scratch the cat behind the ears. "Besides, you can't tell me you don't spoil that dog of yours," she pointed out.

"That's different," he began. He saw her skeptic look and knew he wouldn't win that argument.

She sighed. "I just feel bad that I have to leave him all the time."

"Yeah," Jack agreed. He paused, wondering if now was the time to bring up what had been on his mind for some time. "I guess it's harder when you're at my place half the time as well," he mused.

"I like being at your place, Jack," she assured him, smiling as Schr�dinger walked across so he was sitting on her lap.

"And I like being here. It's just that I know it's hard when I'm here. I keep thinking of all the things that I should be doing at home and I feel that I'm neglecting Mac. Poor dog probably thinks the next door neighbor is really his owner and I'm just a stranger that stays there."

Sam stiffened, pulling away from him slightly. "Are you saying we should start spending less time together?" she asked.

Jack frowned. "What? No!" He shook his head, pulling her back against him. "I was actually thinking the opposite."

Sam gave him a questioning look. "What are you talking about, Jack?"

"Well, I just think maybe we could stop feeling so guilty about splitting our time if we only had to split it between work and one place." He hoped to God she understood what he was saying. He was way too nervous to come out and say it direct.

Sam pulled back from him once more, pushing the cat to the floor as she turned to look at him fully. "Are you suggesting that we move in together?" she asked, eyes wide.

He shrugged, aiming for nonchalance and failing miserably. "It makes sense, doesn't it?"

"Does it?"

Jack looked at her. She really did resemble a deer caught in headlights. "I've freaked you out."

"No, no," she quickly assured him. "I'm just... surprised."

"It was just an idea, Sam. I just thought... well we're practically living together as it is and I thought it would be, I don't know, nice if we made it more permanent. Kinda showed everyone that we're serious about this."

"Jack, we know we're serious about this, who cares what everyone else thinks?" She reached out and stroked his cheek. "You don't have to do this to prove to me or anyone else that you're serious about our relationship."

"What if I want to do it for my own selfish reasons?" he pressed, wanting her to understand.

"Which are?" she asked, realizing that he really was serious about this.

"I love you and it would make me a happy man if we moved in together."

Sam looked at him, his face so hopeful, and she found she couldn't deny him. "Okay. If you think you can handle living with me full time, I guess I'm game."

He chuckled at that. "I'm not asking you to go into battle or anything, Sam. You don't have to look so scared."

She chuckled, trying hard to get rid of the butterflies fluttering in her stomach. "Okay, so how do we do this? I mean, we both own our own homes, how do we decide which place we keep and which place we sell?"

He got up from the sofa and walked over to the note pad that sat by the answering machine. "We do it the only way that's fair." He sat beside her and drew a line down the middle of the page, then he split the columns in half again. "Okay, this is the plus and minus columns for your place, this side is for mine."

Sam smiled, leaning back on the sofa. "Okay, let's begin."

*****

"You sure you're okay with this?" Jack asked, as he helped her into bed a few hours later.

"I guess it's just going to take some getting used to. This is the first place I've ever owned, it'll be weird to give that up."

"You're still going to own it, Sam. You just won't be living here. I think it's a good idea to keep it and rent it out. The Air Force doesn't exactly pay us a fortune and the extra income could come in handy." He pulled the covers over them and then pulled her into his arms. "We can always stay here and rent out my place."

She shook her head against his chest. "We decided fairly, Jack. Your place would be better."

"You've got a week to get used to the idea. If you still don't like it, we can always put it on hold."

"No, I'm sure I'll be fine by then."

*****

"So," Janet began, taking a sip of her coffee. "Looking forward to tomorrow?"

Sam shrugged. "I guess."

Janet raised an eyebrow. "You guess? Sam, honey, if you're not sure about this..."

"I am," Sam interrupted. "Really. I guess I'm just a little nervous."

"Well that's to be expected I suppose. It's a big step."

"You can say that again."

Janet placed a hand on her friend's arm. "What's wrong, Sam?"

Sam sighed. "Nothing, really. Just all the 'what ifs', I guess. What if we have a fight?"

"You can't tell me you guys haven't fought over the past year?"

"Of course we have, but we could just go to our separate places and cool off."

"Well, you're always welcome at my place, you know that. What did you do when you and Jonas were together?"

Sam shook her head. "Jonas and I never lived together. It was bad enough that we were having sex out of wedlock, there was no way he was going to live with someone before being married."

"Typical," Janet snorted. "He chooses to ignore the one that he enjoys the most."

"I'd like to think I was just irresistible," Sam retorted.

"You can say that again," Jack said, walking into the room. "I can see there's a lot of packing going on here."

"We're taking a break," Sam defended. "I think we've made good progress this morning."

"Yeah, I noticed all the boxes by the door. Not exactly sure where we're gonna put it all."

Janet grinned. "Compromise, Colonel, that's the key. Some of your stuff's going to have to go."

Jack grumbled at that, making both women smile. "I think I'll go and pack the truck before I lose all my worldly possessions." He kissed Sam on the forehead. "You take it easy on that ankle. Just because you're off your crutches..."

"Jack, Janet is here. Do you think she's going to let me overdo it?"

"I would hope not." He squeezed her shoulder. "I'll go and pack the truck."

"He seems really excited by this," Janet noted, once Jack had left the room.

Sam nodded. "He is."

Janet watched her friend for a moment. "I hope you're not just doing this because it's what he wants, Sam."

"I'm not," Sam assured her. "I admit, when I first said yes, it was more to do with the hopeful look on his face than anything, but now... I love him, Janet, and I think this is right for us."

Janet nodded, satisfied with her friend's answer. "Well, let's get back to packing then."

*****

The morning dawned bright and clear, promising a fine day ahead. Sam was the first to wake, just lying in her bed for what would be the last time. She was happy to be taking the next step with her lover, but she was a little sad to be leaving her house behind. It held a lot of memories; some good, some not so good but memories all the same. It represented her first real attempt at putting down roots. It was her little piece of normalcy.

'Still,' she thought, turning to watch her sleeping partner. 'I'm not taking a backward step here.'

Jack stirred, turning instinctively towards his lover as his eyes opened. He smiled when he caught her watching at him. "Mornin'," he greeted, stretching.

"Good morning," Sam returned. "I guess we should think about getting up."

"Unless you've changed our mind?" Jack asked. He was still a little uncertain if she was really happy with what they were about to do. He knew she was nervous, after all this was the first time she'd ever moved in with anybody, but he just hoped that was all that it was. He'd hate to think he'd pressured her into anything because it was what he wanted.

"I think it's a little late for that, Jack. All that's left here is my bed, the toaster and the kettle."

"Don't forget the cat," Jack replied, hearing a "meow" coming from the other side of the door.

Sam bit her lip. "I hope he's going to be okay with this. What if Mac hurts him or something?"

Jack chuckled. "I'd be more worried about Schr�dinger hurting Mac. That cat has a hell of a set of claws on him." He smiled, kissing her on the forehead. "They'll be fine, Sam. If Schr�dinger can survive a couple of years with the Tollan, living with Mac should be a cinch."

"That's horrible, Jack."

"Come on," he defended. "They aren't exactly the friendliest people around." He thought about that for a moment. "Although there was one in particular that was a little *too* friendly towards you."

Sam smiled. "Were you jealous, Jack?" she purred, pulling him so he lay over her.

"I was and you know it." He bent down and kissed her gently.

"I did. It was the only way that I knew you wanted me."

"It was the only way I could show you that I wanted you," he replied. He grinned. "Can you tell that I want you now?"

She returned his grin. "I think the evidence speaks for itself. So what do you say, Colonel? Should we give this place a proper farewell?"

"Oh, yes, ma'am."

*****

A few hours later, Sam and Jack walked into the living room of what was now their home. "Okay, how do you think we should do this?" Sam asked, placing the cat carrier on the side table.

"I guess it'd be best if we introduced them inside. No chance of Mac chasing Schro over the fence or anything then." He smiled. "Don't worry, Sam. They'll sort themselves out."

He walked over to the back door, flicking the lock and sliding the door open. He was immediately greeted by a long-haired German Shepherd, who barked gleefully at seeing his master. "Hey, buddy," Jack greeted, allowing him into the house.

The dog happily trotted over to greet Sam, who patted him fondly. "Hey, Mac," she greeted. "You ready to meet your new housemate?"

Jack called the dog over to his side, making him sit while Sam took the cat out of the carrier. �Schro? I want you to be nice to Mac. This was his place first, so you�re gonna have to share with him,� Sam told her cat, tickling him under the chin.

�And you be nice to Schr�dinger, okay, big guy?� Jack asked, patting the head of his faithful companion.

Sam took a deep breath, the sense of foreboding she�d felt earlier only intensifying as she realized what came next. She looked to Jack, who gave her a reassuring smile. Nodding, she hesitantly lowered the cat to the floor, before stepping over to where Jack stood.

Mac watched Schr�dinger like a hawk as the tom looked around, before walking towards the sofa and brushing against it, effectively claiming it as his. He held his head high, doing his best to ignore the lower species that he knew was watching him. After ensuring he�d done a thorough job of claiming the sofa, he made his way to his next target, winding himself around Jack�s legs.

Mac growled, trying to let the intruder know that he wasn�t allowed anywhere near *his* master.

�Don�t be jealous, Mac,� Sam placated, reaching down and scratching the Shepherd behind the ears.

Schr�dinger looked smugly across at the dog to see his reaction only to pause when he realized that Mac was more interested in Sam. His heckles rose as his possessive streak kicked in. That was his owner! No dog was gonna take her away from him! He hissed, launching himself at the dog. Mac jumped in fright, caught unaware, but soon launched into attack, heckles rising as he growled as deeply as he could.

Jack, fearing for the safety of both animals, went to intervene, but was caught in the crossfire. He was knocked off his feet, vaguely aware of Sam crying out his name as he tried gallantly to break his fall. He thought he�d succeeded, his arms reaching out to the floor, but then he felt the sickening thud as his head connected with the corner of the coffee table.

�Jack?!� Sam called, rushing to his side.

Jack tried to open his eyes, tried to reassure her he was okay, but he could feel the pull of unconsciousness and was powerless to fight against it.

�Come on, Jack, open your eyes. Jack, please...�

*****

�... Jack? Come on, Jack, open your eyes.�

Jack heard the voice calling his name, but he wasn�t sure who it belonged to. It certainly wasn�t the voice of his lover.

�Man, you�ve gotta wake up! I can�t hang on much longer.�

Curiosity, more than anything, had Jack opening his eyes. He looked around, but all he could see was Mac, leaning over him.

�Thank God! I thought you�d never wake up! You gotta let me out, Jack. I may be house trained, but a dog can only cross his legs for so long.�

Jack stared at his dog, sure he must have hit his head hard to be imagining this. He was sure Mac had just talked. His lips had moved and everything! He closed his eyes tightly, before venturing to open them once more.

�Come on, man! Cut a dog some slack!� Mac cried. Sighing, he trotted over to the door and barked.

Shaking his head to try and clear it, Jack pulled himself up. He may have been hallucinating, but he knew that the only reason that Mac ever wanted to leave the house was when he needed to answer a call of nature.

Mac sighed in relief as the door was opened, bounding into the backyard and down to his favorite tree. He did his business, before heading back to the house. Jack was walking around, obviously trying to find someone. "Who ya lost?" Mac asked.

"Sam," Jack replied absently, then did a double take. "You really are talking?"

"Well, duh! You're not always the brightest crayon in the pack, are you? As for Sam, she and the anti-Christ went back to her place. She thought it would be better."

"She left me here unconscious?" Jack asked, incredulous.

"What am I, chopped liver? I think I can look after you. I've been doing it for a couple of years now."

Jack shook his head. "Am I having a stroke?" he asked.

Mac shook his head. "Get over it, Jack! Your dog can talk, just deal with it. Did you think humans had the market on the English language? If so why are there so many aliens who speak it, huh?"

"Okay, so you're saying that all animals can talk now?"

Mac groaned. "Yes. Now, forget about that. We need to have a chat."

Jack sat down on the sofa, feeling light headed. 'Maybe I have a concussion,' he thought to himself.

Mac sat down in front of him. �Okay, I think it's time for you and me to have a talk, man to dog."

"Uh, okay." Hell, he may as well go along with the hallucination, right?

Pleased that he finally had his master's attention, Mac began. "Jack, you know I love Sam. She throws my ball and scratches my belly. I could do without the baths, but I guess they�re tolerable and she gives me lots of cuddles when I�m clean. She�s great.�

�Why do I sense a 'but' here?�

�The cat, Jack. Something�s gotta be done about the cat.�

"Sam loves that cat," Jack pointed out.

"But she loves you more! Surely she wouldn't pick a fur ball over the man she loves."

"Maybe she would. I mean, she's not here, is she?"

Mac nodded. "Good point. So, maybe she's not really ready to move in with us. I mean, you did kinda push her into it."

"I did not!" Jack retorted, then paused. He hadn't really given her a chance to think about it, had he? What if Mac was right? He shook his head. "I can't believe I'm getting relationship advice from a dog."

"Hey! I take offence at that. I'm very good with the ladies. Who do you think sired those puppies at Mrs. Wentworth's?"

"So that *was* you! I was almost sued because you got her prized Dalmatian pregnant!"

"What can I say, I'm irresistible," Mac grinned.

"Jesus, Mac. You keep that up and it'll be snippidy doo dah for you."

If it were possible, the dog actually paled at that. "That's a horrible thing to say, Jack."

Jack's reply was interrupted by the front door opening. Mac was immediately on guard, but relaxed when he saw it was only Sam.

"I'm glad to see you're all right," she told Jack. "You had us worried."

"Obviously you weren't worried enough to stick around and make sure I was all right," Jack pointed out.

Sam winced at his tone. "I wanted to, but Mac and Schr�dinger wouldn't stop fighting, so I though it would be better if I took Schro home. Mac knew how to call me if he had to."

"He's a dog, Sam. How in the hell is he supposed to call you?"

"Knock the phone off the receiver and press Sam's number on speed-dial. I'm not a total idiot, Jack," Mac told him.

Sam smiled at the dog, before turning her attention back to Jack. "I thought it would probably be for the best if I went back home tonight. The Realtor hasn't found anyone to rent the house yet, so I can stay there. Maybe we can try this again tomorrow."

"Are you sure you want to try this again? I mean, heaven forbid if the animals don't get on."

"What is wrong with you?" she asked.

�Sam, I wouldn�t think any less of you if you said you weren�t ready to move in here. I just want you to be honest with me.�

She looked hurt at that. �You think I�m not being honest with you?�

"I don't think you're comfortable doing this. I just wish you felt you could tell me that."

"Then perhaps you don't know me at all, Jack O'Neill." She shook her head, turning and heading to the front door.

Jack sighed, flopping down onto the sofa. "That went well."

"Uh, no it didn't," Mac pointed out.

"That was sarcasm, Mac."

"Maybe that's the problem. You hide behind your sarcasm too much."

"No I don't! Well, not always. I think I've been very unsarcastic about this." He paused. "Is that even a word?"

Mac shrugged. "I'm a dog. How in the hell should I know?"

Jack sighed, reaching out and scratching the dog behind the ears. "I don't know what to do next, buddy."

"Well, you could start by scratching me a little to the left."

Jack chuckled, doing as he was told. "You got any ideas?" he asked.

"Look, Jack, I know this is partly my fault and for that I'm sorry. I guess I could get used to having the fur ball around, just as long as he let me have my space. As for Sam, I think if you go over there and talk to her, everything will work out okay."

"You think so?"

Mac nodded. "Yeah, and if it doesn't least you'd still have me."

"No offence, buddy, but that isn't the same thing." He got to his feet. "But you're right, I need to talk to her."

"Good luck," Mac called after him.

*****

Jack let himself into Sam's house and looked around for her. He heard murmuring and followed the noise, finding her sitting on the bed they were yet to dismantle. He stood in the doorway, but didn't make his presence known. Sam and Schr�dinger were talking quietly and he stood, listening.

�Why can�t we just stay here, Sam?� the cat asked, curling up on Sam's lap.

�Because I love Jack and I want to move in with him.�

�Are you sure? I mean, you do work together and then you�d be coming home together. What if you need space?�

She smiled. �Then I can retreat to my lab or Jack�s roof or the study or the huge bathtub...� She stroked his soft fur. �I know I said I wasn�t sure when he first asked, but the more I think about it, the righter it feels.�

Jack knocked on the door, deciding to make his presence known. "Hey," he greeted softly.

"Hi, Jack," she returned, giving him a tentative smile. "I'm sorry for leaving the way I did, I just... It hurt that you didn't think I was being honest with you."

"I know and I'm sorry. I guess I'm just feeling insecure about it all. I didn't give you much of a chance to think about this and... well, with everything going wrong..."

"I know. Why don't we chalk it up to us both being nervous?"

"I'm sorry too, Jack," Schr�dinger told him. "I know I'm going to have to share Sam with you and the dog, it's just going to take some getting used to."

Jack couldn't help but grin at the way he said 'the dog' but he guessed it was a start. "How about we go home then?" he asked.

"Do I have to go in the carrier?" Schr�dinger asked.

"Yes!" both Sam and Jack replied together.

*****

"Jack? Jack, please wake up."

Jack felt a hand patting his face and heard the fear in the voice calling him. He groaned, opening an eye. "I'm okay," he mumbled.

"Just stay still," Sam told him, pushing on his chest when he went to get up. "Janet's on her way."

"I don't need the Doc," he told her, once again trying to sit up.

"That's too bad, because I'm already here," Janet announced, heading immediately for her patient. "How are you feeling, Colonel?"

"Like I've got an egg the size of Texas on my head," he replied.

"How about your neck?" she asked, probing the area in question.

"It's okay. Just my head."

She took out her pen light and checked his pupils. "I'd really like to get you to the hospital. You may have a fracture, or at the very least a concussion."

"Is that really necessary, Doc? It's just a bump to the head. I've had worse."

Janet relented. "Fine, as long as you promise to get Sam to take you straight to the hospital if you start feeling worse."

"I will," Sam assured her. "I'm sorry for getting you over here for nothing. I guess I just freaked out when he wouldn't come to."

"That's okay, Sam. Just keep an eye on him, okay?" She grinned. "So, I guess the pets didn't exactly hit it off straight away, huh?"

Jack grimaced as he touched the back of his head. "You could say that." He looked around. "Where are they?"

"I threw them both outside."

Jack shook his head, getting up off the floor and sitting on the sofa. "I had the strangest dream while I was unconscious."

"Really?" Sam asked, moving to sit beside him. "What was it?"

"Well, I was knocked out like what happened here, but when I came to, Mac was talking to me."

"Your dog was talking?" Janet asked, eyebrow raised.

"Yeah. Schro could talk too and..." He trailed off as he remembered the rest. His uncertainty about whether Sam really wanted to move in with him, the fears that he held about having pushed her into it. He smiled to himself. His brain certainly had a strange way of showing him that everything was okay.

"And what, Jack?" Sam asked.

He shook his head. "And it was just really strange."

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital, Colonel?" Janet asked.

"I'm fine!" he insisted, exasperated. "It was just a weird dream."

"Okay, if you're sure. I'll leave you to it. Just take it easy, okay? Leave the unpacking for another time."

"Thanks, Janet," Sam told her friend, getting to her feet so she could usher her to the door.

She walked back to where Jack was sitting after showing Janet out. "You sure you're okay?" she asked, biting her bottom lip.

"Positive," he replied.

"You scared me," she admitted.

"I'm sorry, Baby." He grasped her hands, pulling her toward him and then wrapping his arms around her waist. He sighed, burying his head in her shirt. "I guess we should check on the animals, huh?" he murmured into her stomach.

"I guess," she replied, running a hand through his hair.

"Ow!" Jack groaned, when she accidentally touched the bump on his head.

"Sorry."

He pulled away from her and got to her feet. "Come on."

They walked to the back door, cautiously sliding it open. Neither animal tried to dart in, so Jack opened the door wider and stepped out onto the deck. They both stopped dead, amazed by the sight. The two animals, who had so recently been warring in the living room, were curled up together on Mac's bed. Both of them looked across at their owners, but neither made a move to get up.

"Well I'll be damned," Jack murmured.

"I guess we should have just put them out here and left them to begin with," Sam suggested.

"Would have saved me a headache," Jack grumbled in reply.

Sam smiled, moving to kiss him lightly on the lips. "Maybe we should follow their lead, huh? I know I could handle a nap."

Jack smiled. "Sounds good to me. Let's go back into *our* house."

Sam grinned back at him. "And then go and lie on *our* bed?" she asked.

"My thoughts exactly." Jack turned, but not before he was sure he saw Mac winking at him. 'A concussion,' he told himself, as he ushered his lover into the house.

Twenty minutes later, Sam and Jack were curled up on their bed, dreaming of their future together, while outside Mac and Schr�dinger did much the same; dreaming of the extra owner they had gained and the playmate that they now had.

THE END

Feedback?