Like We Never Had a Broken Heart

SPOILERS: 100 Days

RATING: PG (some mild swearing and adult themes)

SUMMARY: Sam is devastated after they return to Edora and finds comfort in the arms of a friend.

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author. The song "Like We Never Had a Broken Heart" was sung by Trisha Yearwood and is also used without permission.

AUTHORS NOTES: I got to thinking about how much everyone hates 100 Days and I wondered what would have happened if Sam and Jack had been together.

DEDICATION: This is for Deanna who�s venting of 100 Days inspired this and to all those Makepeace lovers out there.

FEEDBACK: I know you�re all gunna hate me after this but I still wanna know what you thought :-)

~~o0o~~

Sam turned away as Jack walked up to Laira. Hot tears stung her eyes but she angrily brushed them away. �How could he?� she thought bitterly to herself. Her brain was intent on taunting her. Reminding her of all the plans they had for the future, all the promises they�d made. He�d told her he�d never loved anyone as much as he loved her. �I guess that soon changed. To think I�ve been working my ass off while he�s screwing around with the natives.�

She pushed the thought from her mind and walked back to the �gate. She was the commanding officer on this mission and she�d decided she was going home. �Daniel, get everyone together. We�re going.� She didn�t look at Daniel, but she could feel his eyes boring into her back, no doubt with a sympathetic look on his face. Her and Jack�s relationship had been the worst kept secret of the SGC. She was pretty sure even Hammond knew, but nothing had ever been said to them. She sighed. She didn�t need sympathy. She needed a large bottle of alcohol and somewhere to cry.

�Sam, don�t you think we should stay a bit longer? Just to make sure everything�s okay?�

�No, Daniel, I don�t. In case you haven�t noticed I haven�t slept for three months. I�d kinda like to make up for lost time. Let�s go.� She started dialling.

Daniel sighed and walked over to Jack and Laira. �We have to go, Jack,� he said curtly. He turned away to get the others as Jack said his farewells to Laira.

�How�s SG-1 going to survive this,� Daniel thought as he rounded up the troops.

They walked through the event horizon and returned to the SGC, where a crowd was waiting for Jack�s return. A huge cheer went up as he exited the Stargate and for a few minutes there was pandemonium as everyone welcomed the Colonel back. Robert Makepeace shook Jack�s hand before turning to find Sam. He saw her push through the crowd and walk quickly out of the room, followed closely by Janet Fraiser. Makepeace could tell by her slumped shoulders that there was something wrong. Satisfied that Doc. Fraiser would look after her, he made a mental note to go and check on her later.

Sam had finally got rid of Janet after about two hours. The doctor, who was also her best friend, had tried to console her, but Sam was just feeling numb. Janet had offered her friend a sedative but Sam had refused. A part of her was still hoping Jack would come to see her and offer a *really* good explanation. She kept tinkering with the Naquada generator, not wanting to close her eyes for a minute. Every time she did she saw Jack asking Laira to come back to earth with him.

�Shouldn�t you be in bed?� a voice said from behind her, startling her from her thoughts.

�Robert,� she gasped as she turned around.

�Sorry, Sam. Didn�t mean to startle you,� Makepeace said with a smile.

�That�s okay. What are you doing here? Shouldn�t you be at home?�

He shrugged. �Don�t really have one of those at the moment. Diane told me it was either her or my job. Guess what I chose?�

�I�m sorry, Robert. I know how hard you were trying to make your marriage work.�

�Yeah well that�s the joy of being in the military I guess.� He looked at her closely. �What about you? Things looked pretty cool between you and O�Neill before.�

Sam swallowed hard. �There is no me and O�Neill. He was... involved with someone on Edora.� A stray tear fell down her cheek.

Makepeace pulled her to him without a second thought. �I�m sorry, Sam. If it�s any consolation I think you�re too good for that asshole.�

Sam chuckled sadly. �Absolutely no consolation at all, but thanks.�

�You�re welcome.� He pulled back and looked at her. �What do you say we get out of here? Go drown our sorrows.�

�That�s the best idea I�ve heard in ages.� She grabbed her coat and they headed to the surface and Makepeace�s car.

�I have my own car, Robert,� she protested as he opened the passenger side door for her.

�Yeah, like I�m gonna let you drive anywhere. You haven�t slept properly in months. Come on, Sam, let me be chivalrous. It doesn�t happen very often.�

Sam chuckled and got into the car.

They drove back to Sam�s via a liquor store. They were soon sprawled out in her living room eating pizza and shooting vodkas. They had become closer over the past three months. Robert was the one who had constantly ordered her to sleep and was the one who had allowed her to vent her anger and frustration when she had needed to. In return, she had helped him to understand his wife and where she was coming from. They had been each other�s salvation and here they were, helping each other again.

A few hours and a bottle of vodka later, the topic of conversation had turned once more from Makepeace and his wife to Sam and Jack. �I can understand him needing to find support from someone,� Sam explained. �I needed the same, but I could tell that he�d... been with her. He walked away from me without even looking me in the eye. Like I didn�t matter.� The tears finally came and Makepeace moved to her side, holding her close as sobs wracked her body.

�Shh, Sam, don�t cry. You do matter. Don�t ever think differently.� He rocked her and whispered words of comfort while she released three months of sorrow.

It was after two before she had finally calmed down and Makepeace released her from his arms. �I guess I better go and let you get some sleep.�

�Do you wanna stay?� Sam asked, not quite looking at him.

�Sam...� he started, unsure of what to say. A part of him wanted to stay, bury his feelings deep within the beauty in front of him, but he knew he would only be using her and he couldn�t do that to her. Not to Sam. �I think it�s better if I go.�

�Please, Robert. I know you�re not over your wife and you know I�m not over Jack. I just... I don�t want to be alone tonight.� She looked up at him and his heart broke at the lost blue eyes that stared back at him.

�You don�t have to be alone,� he whispered, moving to hold her once more.

 

Don�t be afraid to hold me tight
You know I won�t break in two
What we�re doin� here tonight
Sure beats what we�re goin� through

 

Mouths met as both parties sought to forget their pain and loose themselves in the other�s arms.

 

We�ve both loved and lost before
You know the sadness it can bring
Tonight lets close the door
And hold on to the nearest thing

 

He picked her up and carried her to her bedroom, setting her down gently on the bed, where they slowly made love. Each trying to make the other forget, if only for a few moments.

 

Let�s keep hangin� on

So we won�t fall apart
Let�s make love tonight
Like we never had a broken heart

Don�t be afraid to close your eyes
Pretend I�m someone that you love
And I won�t have to tell you lies
�cause it�s not you I�m thinkin� of

Let�s keep hangin� on
So we won�t fall apart
Let�s make love tonight
Like we never had a broken heart

Tonight we�ll just pretend
We�ve been in love right from the start
Let�s make love again
Like we never had a broken heart

Let�s make love again
Like we never had a broken heart
Don�t be afraid to close your eyes

 

Sam took a deep breath, trying to steady her harsh breathing as she tried to get her body back under control. She felt Robert shift off her to her side, pulling her to rest against him. She could hear his heart beating erratically as his hand swept up her spine.

�You okay?� he asked between pants.

�Yeah,� she breathed in reply, kissing his naked chest. �Thank you.�

He held her tight against him. �Get some sleep, Sam. God knows you deserve it.� He kissed her hair and continued to stroke her back until her breathing became regular and he knew she�d fallen asleep.

Makepeace waited for the regret and self loathing to come but it didn�t. Sam had needed someone to get lost in and it was better that it was him and not someone she�d picked up at a bar. The anger he felt towards Jack O�Neill only intensified as he saw the sorrow etched on Sam�s face, even as she slept. How could anyone hurt such a fantastic woman. Makepeace had no doubt that it would be easy to fall for the beauty in his arms but he also knew that her heart would always belong to that half wit O�Neill.

The End.
 

Concluded in Love and Understanding

Feedback?