tle>

Those Three Little Words

2nd place ~Most outstanding character death~

SPOILERS: none

RATING: PG (character death?)

SUMMARY: Jack is killed on a mission. What happens when his team brings his body home?

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

AUTHORS NOTES: This is the result of too much stress and too little sleep. Thankyou Kes, my ever faithful beta. You’re too good to me!

FEEDBACK: This is a different style for me so I’d love to know what you thought.

 

**** Sam ****

Jack is dead.

There, I finally said it. He died in my arms on some god awful planet after the natives turned nasty. Why is it I can carry an MP-5, hand gun, zat and knife but I couldn't protect him from a Neanderthal with a crude sword? Okay to be fair to myself there were a *lot* of Neanderthals with swords but still... I should have backed him up. That was my job. Some 2IC I turned out to be.

At least we brought him back to be buried. I'll have a place to go to beg forgiveness. Although I don't deserve it. I should have died on that planet with him... instead of him. I feel like I'm dead anyway. Dead inside.

What hurts the most is when I remember those last few moments before he was gone. He looked up at me with pain filled eyes and whispered on his last breath, "I love you." He was gone before I could reply. So I told his lifeless body, "I love you too." And I cried. I haven't cried like that since my mom died. Why could we only say the words when it was too late?

I have no idea what's going on outside at the moment. The klaxons are sounding and I can hear people running around out in the corridors. Right now I'm too drugged to even try and find out. Daniel virtually carried me back to the 'gate while Teal'c carried Jack's... body. Once in the infirmary Janet was quick to sedate me. I guess no one wants an hysterical Major on their hands. The drugs may have slowed everything down, but they don't stop the images of his blood-soaked uniform or his lifeless eyes.

I close my eyes and the images spring up again. It's a good form of torture, you see, and I deserve to be tortured for failing him. I hear the door open but I don't bother to open my eyes. It's probably Janet or Daniel coming to check up on me and I don't want to see the pity on their faces. They don't think it was my fault. Yeah right.

I sense the person standing beside my bed and I feel their fingers brush the hair from my forehead. The fingers feel masculine, I guess it's Daniel. I really should open my eyes but it just seems like too much of an effort. I guess the sedative's really starting to kick in. I feel soft lips brush across my forehead and I have to say I'm surprised. It's not something I expected from Daniel. Hugs are one thing but I don't think he's ever kissed me.

Then my heart stops and my breath catches in my throat as I hear three little words. "I love you." My eyes fly open and I gasp. "Jack!"

 

**** Janet ****

When I was called to the 'Gateroom I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't Colonel O'Neill's lifeless body or Sam crying almost hysterically. I race over to check on the Colonel but there's nothing I can do. He's gone. After ordering my team to take away his body, I lead the three surviving members to the infirmary. Teal'c and Daniel are fine, apart from mild shock. Sam's another story. She obviously blames herself and nothing Daniel and I say will change her mind. Maybe I should sedate her. Least that way she'll get some rest.

I order a nurse to get the sedative for me and she returns promptly, needle in hand. I inject Sam with it and gently help her lay down. "Sleep, Sam," I tell her quietly. She closes her eyes and I walk out of the room, closing the door behind me. I'm not looking forward to my next task, but I have to examine the Colonel's body.

I sigh as I walk to the morgue, taking as long as I possibly can. I finally reach it and open the door. Looking up, I stop dead in my tracks. There's no body. On the table, only the white sheet that had covered it remains, the blood-stain the only testimony to what had happened. I run over, albeit a bit shakily, and hit the alarm. The klaxons sound and suddenly there's people everywhere.

"Ma'am, what's wrong?" a young SF asks me.

"Colonel O'Neill's body is missing," I inform him, still staring at the empty table. I hope Sam doesn't hear about this. It'll kill her.

There's confusion and general chaos for a few minutes then a I see a flash of light out of the corner of my eye. I turn and there he stands. Colonel O'Neill. Very much alive. I think it's safe to say you could have knocked me over with a feather. "What? Haven't you ever seen a guy come back from the dead before?" he quips at us all as we stare.

That's our Colonel all right.

 

**** Jack ****

Okay, I know I died. I felt my heart stop and I know I stopped breathing. My vision faded out, the last image being Sam's tearstained face. I was dead. So, imagine my surprise when I wake up feeling like I could take on Teal'c. Okay maybe not *that* good, I'm not a masochist, but you get the point. I definitely didn't feel like I'd been stabbed. I stand up and try to get my bearings when I suddenly notice where I am. Thor's ship. Gotta love those guys!

Then I remember. My last moments before I died. Laying in my beautiful Sam's arms and telling her I loved her. Why I only had the guts to tell her when it was too late I'll never know, but I swear to God I'll do something about it when I get home. If this has shown me anything, it's that life is too short to waste opportunities. And the look on Sam's face told me she felt the same way I do.

Suddenly Thor appears in front of me and I have to resist the urge to get down on my knees and worship the guy. "I am glad to see you are well again, O'Neill," he states simply. I nod, not able to stop the grin that forms on my face. "Thanks to you."

"You were most fortunate that we were orbiting earth when your body was returned. Otherwise you would have remained deceased."

"Well thanks. I really appreciate it." Then a thought hits me. "Why were you orbiting earth?"

"We were simply ensuring all was well. You must return now."

With that I am engulfed in the, now familiar, bright light and returned to... the morgue. Great. There are people rushing everywhere, the klaxons sounding, and then they all notice me and come to a screeching halt, staring. "What? Haven't you ever seen a guy come back from the dead?" I can't help but quip. I'm a smart ass I know.

Doc. Fraiser steps forward, looking like she's seen a ghost. I suppose in a way she has. "Colonel?"

"Hey, Doc."

"What..." She seems to be at a loss for words. I guess there's a first time for everything.

"Thor decided to intervene," I state simply and I see the recognition register in her eyes.

"Good to have you back, Sir."

I grin at her. "Good to be back, Doc. Now, can you tell me where Carter is?" I ask. No time like the present. Besides, I wanna do this before I lose my nerve.

"Ah, she's in the infirmary."

"What?!" I almost shout. She was fine. God, don't tell me they hurt her after I died.

"She's fine physically," Doc. hastens to add. "She was very distressed when they brought you back. I gave her a sedative."

Okay, so she's not hurt. Thank God. I follow Janet as she shows me to Sam's room. I get some strange looks on the way. I guess I should get used to that for a while. Least no one's fainted... yet.

I nod to Janet and push the door open. Sam's eyes are closed and she looks like she's asleep. I can't take my eyes off her, she's so beautiful, but even in sleep I can see the pain etched on her face. The pain of losing me.

I walk over to the bed and stand beside it, brushing the hair off her face. Her skin is so soft and I can't help myself as I bend forward and brush my lips across her forehead. Then I say those three little words. "I love you."

Her eyes fly open and she gasps. "Jack!"

"Hey, beautiful," I say as I sit on the side of the bed and take her hand in mine. Sounds sappy I know, but I just can't help it. I love this woman and I'm going to make sure she knows.

"What... how... I..." she stutters and I stop her by placing a finger to her lips.

"Thor beamed me up and healed me."

"Oh, thank God!" She cries and her arms are suddenly around me, crushing me to her. I return the gesture whole-heartedly. "I love you," she whispers and I can tell she's crying.

"I love you too," I whisper back, my own voice cracking. We pull back and look at each other before we both lean in and our lips meet in a trembling but passionate kiss.

The door opens behind me and who should walk in? You guessed it, Daniel. "Oh my God!" I hear him gasp and I turn in time to see him hit the floor. I'm not sure if it was seeing me alive or seeing his two best friends making out that made him faint but he's now spending the night in the infirmary. And me? I'm spending the night in the arms of the woman I love.

THE END

Feedback?