Death And The Doctor

By Vicki

Rating: PG
Category: Janet
Summary: Doctor's aren't supposed to think about death
Author's notes: Meep! I’ve been trying not to think, or write about “Heroes”, but it’s getting closer and closer… Wibble!
 

Ever since she had been a little girl, she had always wanted to be a doctor. She hated seeing people, or animals, in pain, and wanted to do what she could to help them. Joining the Air Force had been a sudden afterthought; a chance to see the world, but still be able to help people.


She’s seen a lot of suffering. She served in the first Gulf War, and has earned a good few decorations. She studied the strange and deadly diseases on Earth; what they did to the frail human body, and what she could do to help stop them, or relieve the suffering they induced.

And then she was assigned to the SGC, and what she thought she knew about how to treat people and what she had to treat with was redefined. Some things remained constant however; her determination and compassion, and the frailty, yet resilience of the human body.

In just seven years at the SGC, she’d pretty much seen it all; viruses causing people to revert back to cavemen, multiple invasions of peoples bodies and brains by various entities – some hostile, others not. She’s seen people being brought back from the brink of death and beyond many a time and through a variety of different methods.

But rarely had she stopped to contemplate death itself. It wasn’t something she should dwell on. As a doctor, she was supposed to deny death at every opportunity.

Death hadn’t been something she’d thought about – especially not her own.

But, when it came down to it, dying wasn’t too bad really.