Human Nature
By Clara

Disclaimer: None of the characters in this fic are mine.
Spoilers: Minor spoilers for �Tale Of Two Parties'
Summary: Maria thinks about what she has and what she wants.
Author�s notes: When writing in a new fandom I always seen to start with extreme angst, so here we are. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rating: PG-13
Category: Angst, Romance
Couples: Max/Maria, Max/Liz, Maria/Michael
Archive: Take it if you want it; just keep my name and e-mail attached.
***

Have you ever lain in bed at night and just felt trapped by your life? Then you start to think about what your best friend has and wonder what it'd be like to be her or to have what she has? I guess its human nature, never to be satisfied with what you have, always wanting what you can't have and never wanting what you do.

I love Liz, really I do, she�s like a sister to me. But I watch her with Max and they're so sure that they're supposed to be together, so certain that it's right for both of them despite Max's supposed destiny. Then I look at what I have with Michael. At times he can be so sweet, while at other times I feel like he goes to such lengths to hurt me, I've always wanted the type of relationship where the person you're with means everything to you, and there's no doubt in your mind that they feel it to. But with Michael, I never know.

Of course, it's not totally Michael's fault I feel this way. I loved Max before Liz even knew who he was and I hate that. I feel like she stole him from me even though he was never mine. I guess it'd be easier for me to be around them if these feelings were at least diminishing, but they're not. I had such an amazing time with Max at Enigma more fun than I've had with Michael in a long time and it just seemed to make my feelings stronger and more real to me.

There's not doubt in my mind what I want, just as there is no doubt that I'll never have it. I want Liz to be happy and she's happiest when she's with Max. While we danced on New Years Eve, he whispered in my ear that he felt something for me he really shouldn't. Afraid that Liz or Michael would hear him even then.

That's what makes me so sure he'll never be mine. The number of people we'd hurt would be ridiculous, we'd never be able to express what we felt openly without feeling someone, somewhere, was judging us... So why doesn't this make me feel any better? Because no matter how self sacrificing I try to be and how much I suppress my feelings, they're still there. I'm committing this betrayal of my best friend. I love Max Evans and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.