In My Arms
By Clara
 
Summary: ~Tiny hand on my cheek, you�re a miracle to me~
Disclaimer: They�re not mine.
Rating: G
Set: 2 years after the third series.

Spoilers: None
Category: Complete and utter fluff, CGR
Archive: Working love archive and my site pink-martini.net anywhere else, please ask first :)
Authors note: Inspired by �Mark Wills-In my arms� the words can be found at the bottom of this fic. Thanks to Matti for beta-ing.
Dedication: To Jen, *hugs* get well soon.
****
He couldn�t imagine anything more perfect.
 
She was gorgeous, with his eyes and the smile of her mother. Gil chuckled as the child in his arms lifted a hand, placing it on his cheek.
 
Having a baby was a blessing he hadn�t thought he�d get the chance to experience, being older than most first time fathers and undoubtedly more cynical.
 
And then he�d met and fallen in love with a wonderful woman who had blessed him with this beautiful little girl.
 
This was her first night home from the hospital and his wife had fallen asleep as soon as they had gotten home, exhausted. But he�d laid awake in bed listening out for sounds coming from the room down the hall and when he�d heard the slight whinging had quickly gone to the nursery in the hope that he could get Elizabeth back to sleep before she woke her mother.
 
So, he�d changed her diaper and now sat in the antique rocking chair which had belonged to his mother, just staring at the baby in his arms.
 
He knew what he wanted for her, to grow up within a family that loved her, to never be hurt by the world around her and to know that she had a daddy that would always do anything to keep her safe.
 
And he was pretty damn sure her first date was gonna get the interrogation of a life time, most likely while his daughter looked on in embarrassment, he had the same thing planned for his step daughter�s date too.
 
He was scared to death of her as well. This little girl was completely reliant on him and the idea that he didn�t really know what he was doing and that he would become a bad father was a fear that had plagued him since her birth a week earlier.
 
With a slight sigh, he felt the hand on his cheek curl into a fist and lower back to his daughter�s side as she fell asleep again, a look of peace on her face, a look that only someone who had no idea of that the world was becoming could accomplish.
 
�Hey.�
 
Gil looked up and smiled at the woman standing before him. �Hey, did we wake you?�
 
She shook her head no, before walking towards him and kneeling down beside the chair, running one finger over her daughter�s cheek.
 
Softly, trying not to wake the sleeping baby, Gil stood and walked over to the crib and placed his daughter down.
 
Following him Catherine joined him in looked down at Elizabeth, she tried to stifle a yawn and put her head on her husbands shoulder as he placed his arm around her waist.
 
Noticing her tiredness, Gil tugged on her waist and led her out of the room silently. �Come on, let�s get back to bed.�
 
They made their way along the corridor and climbed into bed. He lay on his back with Catherine�s head on his chest and as he listened to her breathing even out, he wrapped one arm around her and thanked whatever gods were out there for his family.
 
Slowly, his eyes closed and dreams of the little girl down the hall filled his head.
***
 
 
3am on the clock,
Lullaby music box,
Oh baby please don�t cry,
Let�s let momma sleep tonight,
You�ve only been home one day,
You don�t even know your name,
Tiny hand on my cheek,
You�re a miracle to me,
In the stillness of the night,
Cradled in this rocking chair,
I hold all my hopes and dreams,
Every single answered prayer.
 
In my arms,
Wish I could hold you forever,
In my arms,
I will give you shelter,
Still I know,
I can always be there,
To protect you from this great big old world,
But I swear this much is true,
There�ll always be a place for you,
In my arms.
 
As I watch you take each breath,
Oh it scares me to death,
To know you�re counting on me,
To be the daddy that you need,
Wounded knees and broken hearts,
Learning how to drive a car,
When it�s time for your first date,
Will I know just what to say?
And when you find that one true love,
I�ll put on my best smile,
And I�ll try to hide my tears,
As I walk you down the isle.
In my arms,
Wish I could hold you forever,
In my arms,
I will give you shelter,
Still I know,
I can always be there,
To protect you from this great big old world,
But I swear this much is true,
There�ll always be a place for you,
In my arms.
 
Wish I could hold you forever,
In my arms,
Oh now I will give you shelter,
Still I know,
I can always be there,
To protect you from this great big old world,
But I swear this much is true,
There�ll always be a place for you,
In my arms.
 
Oh this promise I will keep,
As you finally fall asleep,
In my arms.