Catherine, Gil And The Elusive Harry Potter Book
By Clara and Erin
Disclaimer: Not ours
Summary: Something's are hard to find
Rating: G
Category: Humour and slight C/G
Authors notes: So... I queued to get the new Harry Potter book at midnight last night (and have finished it) and as the most unlikely tasks usually do.. it inspired fic, so of course I had to drag my partner in crime Sugar into it ;)

***

Catherine sighed in frustration as she left the 4th store of the night.

She'd promised Lindsey that she would return home with the newest Harry Potter book and so far Catherine had had no luck in locating one. For the life of her she couldn't understand how so many places could have sold out after only 2 hours.

Quickly she trotted back to the Tahoe and jumped in next to Gil, who took one look at her face and took on a look of pity. "Want to try somewhere else?"

She smiled slightly and leaned back again the head rest before nodding, "Yeah... thanks for doing this Gil."

"No problem.. it's almost fun!"

Catherine gave him a strange look before shaking her head. "Well, you jump out of the car at the next store and call this fun."

He shrugged him shoulders before pulling out of the car park and turning the car in the direction of the nearest Borders. "Sure."

Her look changed to one of bemusement and tried not to laugh. "Ok, go for it."

Gil came rushing out of the store, looking ragged. By this point, Catherine had moved into the driver's seat, deciding for her companion that he'd be the one hunting for the elusive book for a while. Gil stopped at the passenger side door and got in.

He was panting, and his clothes were a little messed up; his shirt collar was sticking up out of his coat. Catherine looked over at him. "Packed in there?"

He nodded exuberantly. "It was a madhouse in there. Harry Pottle"

"Harry Potter," she corrected.

"Whatever, the little kid had pencils and colouring books and rulers and hats and stuffed dolls..."

She sighed, "But, no book?"

He shook his head slowly. "No book. Where to next?"

"There are a couple more stores," she answered, putting the Tahoe in gear, preparing to pull out of the parking spot. "So was it fun?"

He shot her a sideways glance and then leaned back against the seat. Catherine laughed and kept driving towards the next bookstore.
***

The two CSI's made their way back to the car, twin looks of frustration on their faces as they got in and slumped down in their seats.

It was awhile before Catherine turned to look at Gil. "You know what I should have done?"

"Ordered the book."

She nodded in agreement and tapped her nails on the steering wheel. "That or arrived at 10 and queued for 2 hours."

They lapsed back into silence as they both contemplated what to do next have run out of book shops in the Las Vegas are to visit.

"We need to take a little trip."

Catherine shot him a confused look. "Where?"

"The lab."

"That's hardly a little trip Gil.. a little trip implies excitement and relaxation. The lab doesn't quite gel with the 2nd one."

"Well, the lab has computers if we order it today...."

"It should be here by Tuesday."

"Exactly and it only means Lindsey having to wait a couple extra days with much less stress for her mom."

***

Gil growled in frustration. "Why won't this infernal thing work?"

Catherine put a hand on his shoulder. They were in his office, trying to order the book on his computer, but it was being a difficult accomplice. She glanced down at the credit card in her hand, and then at Gil. "Well, let's go try another one, since this one doesn't wanna take my money."

He stood up and together they walked hurriedly to the A/V lab. Once quick glance told them that they weren't going to get to a computer. Catherine's shoulder's slumped. "Back to the..."

"Don't you dare say that." He cut her off, leading her down the hall again. "We'll find a computer."

After checking the third laboratory, and still finding no vacant computers, even Gil was beginning to wonder if there were going to have to try finding it the hard way.

"Well, maybe.."

Catherine cut him off, this time. "Nope. I have an idea."

When she stopped in front of a certain office door, Gil planted himself firmly and refused to move. "We can't go in there!"

"Oh, shush. We won't get caught. Besides, there aren't any lights on. I'll bet he's still out in the field. You see how busy these people are." She pushed the door open and dragged him inside. "See? And look, a computer!"

Gil groaned, looking around worriedly. "I hope it works. I'd hate to think I get killed for nothing."

Catherine shot him a glance that silenced him as she made her way to the desk. He followed, to watch her type in the online bookstore's address, and manoeuvre around the site. "It's right there!" He pointed out excitedly.

She grinned and clicked on it. She filled out her personal information and her credit card number and when it said the order was accepted, she cheered and clapped, completely excited.

Then, she turned to Gil, who was also grinning ear to ear. He wrapped his arms around her and swung her around. "You did it."

"We did it," she said in his ear. "Lindsey'll be so thrilled! I can't wait to see the look on her face when it arrives in the mail!"

They stayed close like that hugging and laughing until they heard an angry voice from the doorway. "What are you two doing in *my* office?"

***

Catherine and Gil jumped apart like two guilty teenagers as they stared at Conrad Ecklie standing in the doorway.

"Ahh well, Griss' computer broke and we had to get something urgently and yours was the closet room with a net connection, we didn't think you'd be back anytime soon so..."

Gil stood slightly behind her and nodded before adding "You don't mind.. do you Ecklie?" before the mean could reply, Gil flashed him a smile and dragged Catherine out of the office, his hand on the small of her back propelling her down the corridor.

Once they were back in his office they collapsed into chairs "Did you see the look on his face?!" Catherine shook her hair back as she laughed. "He thought something was seriously up when he walked in!"

Gil chuckled softly "I don't doubt that... so Catherine, I think you owe me your company for dinner."

"Dinner?"

"Yep, after trapsing round so many stores I'm hungry and you're paying."

Walking around the desk he pulled her out of the chair and opened the door for her, raising an eyebrow expectently.

Catherine grinned before pulled her suit jacket off and throwing it over her arm, "Sure Gil, you're on." She grabbed his hand and together they went in search of food.

END!