Extinguished flame
By Clara

This came to mind while I was listening to �Close your eyes� on the Buffy CD. Just a little bit of Angst for you, since I think I�ve neglected the Buffy �verse for way to long. Buffy, Angel and Willow are Joss�. Dedicated to Kim, Glad we could catch up.
***


Angel stood in front of the grey head stone, his leather coat flapping slightly in the wind and tears coursing down his cheeks. As soon as Willow had told him he had rushed to Sunnydale and now he stood in front of his beloved Buffy's grave unable to believe that she was gone and there was nothing he could do to bring her back.

 
He�d always assumed that when the day came for her to leave this world he would be there to fight along side her one last time and hold her in his arms as she slipped away but instead he hadn�t even been on Earth.
 
Crouching down he placed one hand on top of the head stone and began to whisper, �I�m so sorry I let you down Buffy, I should have been here, If I�d been there you might still be alive.� He bowed his head again and traced the golden letters on her head stone with his hand. �I�ve never stopped loving you Buffy, not even when I was Angelus.�
 
Reaching a hand into his pocket he pulled out a ring, the same one Buffy had left on the floor of the mansion so long ago. �I never gave this back to you before because I though you�d find it too painful to have, but I guess you should have it now since it can�t cause you pain anymore.� He placed the ring on top of her grave and stood up.
 
�I love you Buffy, I�ll see you again one day.� With that he turned and walked away only looking back once, he hoped she had heard him and that she was happy.