Candle In The Dark
By Clara

This is for Moni in #buffy/spike who asked for Spike/Buffy fic, this was as close as I could get. Spike and Buffy are Joss� This could be a prequel to Extinguished flame but they do stand alone. I know it�s short but most goodbyes usually are. The title comes from the Song �I can�t fight this feeling anymore� more specifically the line that goes �You�re a candle in the window on a cold dark winters night�
***
Spike stood inside the morgue and stared at the lifeless body on the stainless steel table. He had wanted to see her one more time before she was buried so he had broken in�just to say goodbye. He raised one hand and smoothed her hair back over her forehead, She looked so peaceful.
 

He never would have thought when he�d first come to Sunnydale that he would end up crying over the death of a Slayer. He�d always welcomed the thought of her death until 9 months earlier when he began to dream that it was her in his bed instead of Harmony and now here she lay, her body just as cold as his.
 
She�d made him what he was. She�d reformed him from just another blood thirsty vampire to a man in everyway that mattered. His heart may not beat but it was still hers.
 
The tears fell from his eyes as he stared at her, he doubted he would ever see her again, he knew of Heaven and Hell what Vampire didn�t? But Spike knew that they would forever be on different sides of a wide expanse just life they had been in life.
 
He stroked her cheek and pressed a kiss to her lips before whispering �Goodbye Buffy.� And walking away and back to the life that he had promised her he would lead after her death, that of protector to her friends.